Which hardware specifications are important for faster back testing? - page 3

i dont think there's any point in doing that for MT4 optimizations however (correct me if i'm wrong)

HosseinKOGO #:

Appreciated <3
Could you please clarify what are you pointing to in the highlighted? I can not understand it.

Current Apple Systems use their new M1, M1pro or M2 chips as a CPU. - And they are based on ARM technology.

ARM technology uses a RISC instruction set for the internal Architecture, while Intel and AMD use IA64/AMD64 (or more common referred to x86) as architecture.

Since MT4/5 is compiled for x86 (x86_64), and Apple has RISC as architecture, a special software is in between MT4/5 and the CPU, translating between x86_64 and RISC instructions. - This introduces additional overhead and slows down compute intense applications, like EAs.

This is why it is (on paper) a good performer, when using native apps on Apples Silicone, but you will get degraded performance when running "Windows" apps, respectively Intel/AMD apps)

Same goes for Windows for ARM, as this is the same issue, although, when using native ARM apps, the system is quite performant, when running x86 programs, you get a performance penalty, compared to Intel or AMD.

Vice veersa, when running an emulator on x86 to emulate an ARM architecture, the drawback wont be as impactful, because the ARM RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) is much easier to emulate on a x86 architecture, than it is on an ARM. For example ARM has very limited support for floating point math, and needs quite some effort to emulate these complex instructions from x86 down to ARM-RISC...

Although RISC is (in general) faster executed, the set of possible instructions is "very" limited compared to x86. RISC < x86. - Thats why you will be penalized by such a hardware, which use-case is not exactly applicable to your requirements.

HosseinKOGO #:

I'm not looking for wonders men :D
Just a sufficient performance and an efficient energy consume based on my budget.(up to 2000$)

No war :>

When I started getting into this, I bought a new computer with:
- Intel i9 13900K
- 128GB DDR6 RAM
- 1TB SSD w/ 7400 MB/s
- nVidia RTX A2000 6Gb

That was about the highest performance machine I could put together, short of spending a bunch of money on a high-end video card, which won't really matter for trading.

Total cost: about $2500

I've been looking at getting a mini PC to supplement it. None of the mini PC manufacturers have an i9 13900 yet — about the best thing around seems to be an AMD Ryzen 9 6900hx. So if you want about half the performance of what I showed above, at 1/4 the price (and a 1/10 of the desk space), you can look at something like a Geekom Mini IT12 (my current top pick when I'm ready).

Lorentzos Roussos #:

i dont think there's any point in doing that for MT4 optimizations however (correct me if i'm wrong)

My optimizations have a few parameters. Actually I do not believe in having much parameters and optimizations. If an EA would not profit without optimization, then it is not ready for all possible conditions.
The backtest would be mainly on MT5 too.
I have nothing else than a mouse for a PC at the moment :>

Dominik Christian Egert #:

Current Apple Systems use their new M1, M1pro or M2 chips as a CPU. - And they are based on ARM technology.

ARM technology uses a RISC instruction set for the internal Architecture, while Intel and AMD use IA64/AMD64 (or more common referred to x86) as architecture.

Since MT4/5 is compiled for x86 (x86_64), and Apple has RISC as architecture, a special software is in between MT4/5 and the CPU, translating between x86_64 and RISC instructions. - This introduces additional overhead and slows down compute intense applications, like EAs.

This is why it is (on paper) a good performer, when using native apps on Apples Silicone, but you will get degraded performance when running "Windows" apps, respectively Intel/AMD apps)

Same goes for Windows for ARM, as this is the same issue, although, when using native ARM apps, the system is quite performant, when running x86 programs, you get a performance penalty, compared to Intel or AMD.

Vice veersa, when running an emulator on x86 to emulate an ARM architecture, the drawback wont be as impactful, because the ARM RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) is much easier to emulate on a x86 architecture, than it is on an ARM. For example ARM has very limited support for floating point math, and needs quite some effort to emulate these complex instructions from x86 down to ARM-RISC...

Although RISC is (in general) faster executed, the set of possible instructions is "very" limited compared to x86. RISC < x86. - Thats why you will be penalized by such a hardware, which use-case is not exactly applicable to your requirements.

But MT5/MT4 has Mac OS version too. Isn't it native by the way?
Except this, I literally understood what you mean <3

Scott Allen #:

When I started getting into this, I bought a new computer with:
- Intel i9 13900K
- 128GB DDR6 RAM
- 1TB SSD w/ 7400 MB/s
- nVidia RTX A2000 6Gb

That was about the highest performance machine I could put together, short of spending a bunch of money on a high-end video card, which won't really matter for trading.

Total cost: about $2500

I've been looking at getting a mini PC to supplement it. None of the mini PC manufacturers have an i9 13900 yet — about the best thing around seems to be an AMD Ryzen 9 6900hx. So if you want about half the performance of what I showed above, at 1/4 the price (and a 1/10 of the desk space), you can look at something like a Geekom Mini IT12 (my current top pick when I'm ready).

Thank you <3

HosseinKOGO #:

My optimizations have a few parameters. Actually I do not believe in having much parameters and optimizations. If an EA would not profit without optimization, then it is not ready for all possible conditions.
The backtest would be mainly on MT5 too.
I have nothing else than a mouse for a PC at the moment :>

But MT5/MT4 has Mac OS version too. Isn't it native by the way?
Except this, I literally understood what you mean <3

No it is not. In fact the MT for Mac and Linux use the same "windows virtual environment" called wine. It brings all necessary requirements to Mac and Linux so that a windows app feels like it is run in a windows environment.

But. All these apps are compiled for x86 hardware. Their binary code is made for one specific CPU instruction set, namely x86.

So, if you want to run these apps on non-native compatible hardware, you must (additionally) also "fit" the hardware by using emulator software to translate between the two.

Dominik Christian Egert #:
No it is not. In fact the MT for Mac and Linux use the same "windows virtual environment" called wine. It brings all necessary requirements to Mac and Linux so that a windows app feels like it is run in a windows environment.

But. All these apps are compiled for x86 hardware. Their binary code is made for one specific CPU instruction set, namely x86.

So, if you want to run these apps on non-native compatible hardware, you must (additionally) also "fit" the hardware by using emulator software to translate between the two.
Got it!
Appreciated <3

Lorentzos Roussos #:

That is a good budget actually for a PC

If you want a laptop go with Dominik's suggestion.

Here is mine for a Dextop pc , the base parts :

Motherboard (600$): https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X670E-CARBON-WIFI/Specification

CPU (400$) : https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-7700

RAM (250$) : https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/p/memory/cmk64gx5m2b5200c40/vengeancea-64gb-2x32gb-ddr5-dram-5200mhz-c40-memory-kit-a-black-cmk64gx5m2b5200c40

GPU (200$) : https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/geforce-gtx-1050-ti/specifications/

Disk (150$) : https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/gaming/kingston-fury-renegade-nvme-m2-ssd

Based on your use you can scale down on the gpu further and maybe even the motherboard .

You will also need : 

-Case

-Power supply

-Cpu cooling

-Case fans

-Keyboard / monitor / mouse / wifi / sound card you can use the existing ones you have .

EDIT : In general , since you want this for meta trader optimizations put more attention on CPU-RAM-Disk speed .

Hello Lorentzos ,

Since you and Dominik both mentioned why the Mac does not suits my needs, I was looking for a laptop based on these specifications you have mentioned, thanks to you <3.
Although I could not find exactly these specifications on a single laptop, I made a filter:
AMD Ryzen 7
RAM 32/64
SSD: 1/2
And since the graphic is not so much important, I just accept what the company offer in its laptop.
This is the most complete result which I have found on UAE amazon website: Link

Which one would you suggest? My current choice is the Lenovo ThinkPad. Since I live in Turkey, I should pay too much more because of tax fees. Also my current laptop is Lenovo and I took too much work from it since 10 years ago. A real gentleman.
The other one Lenovo(Legion 5) costs too much if I want to pay its tax.

Thank you both for your time and concentration <3

HosseinKOGO #:

Hello Lorentzos ,

Since you and Dominik both mentioned why the Mac does not suits my needs, I was looking for a laptop based on these specifications you have mentioned, thanks to you <3.
Although I could not find exactly these specifications on a single laptop, I made a filter:
AMD Ryzen 7
RAM 32/64
And since the graphic is not so much important, I just accept what the company offer in its laptop.

Which one would you suggest? My current choice is the Lenovo ThinkPad. Since I live in Turkey, I should pay too much more because of tax fees. Also my current laptop is Lenovo and I took too much work from it since 10 years ago. A real gentleman.

Are you set on using a laptop ? I suppose a dextop is not convenient  

HosseinKOGO #:

Hello Lorentzos ,

AMD Ryzen 7
RAM 32/64

Hmm

Take a look at this company.

They have very good notebooks.
Reason: