MT5 Historical Tick Data

I'm thinking about changing from MT4 to MT5 for several reasons, mainly for the improved strategy tester

I'm currently using Tick Data Suite for my MT4 back testing and optimisation, however I understand that this cannot be integrated in to MT5  

My broker is [broker name removed] and I was wondering if anyone knew what the situation is with regards to historical tick data for MT5

I have emailed [broker name removed] to try and get some sort of clarification, this was the reply I got

" Thank you very much for contacting [broker name removed] Customer Service!
Please note we do not upload the tick data, if you are backtesting Tick by Tick you won't be able to get 100% of the data, the data available are the ones you can download directly from your Metatrader platform
The historical data from the platform are provided by Metaquotes.
There are third-party companies that collect all the ticks and sell the databases. Alternatively, you can set up an RTD that collects all the live ticks streamed from the trading platform in order to build your own databases."

So my question is, if I can't get accurate tick data for my testing from my broker, what's my options?

Thanks, Paul

Your broker's support message is regarding MT4 and not MT5.

When using MT5, you will have access to real tick data available from your broker (and that includes the broker for which I removed the reference from your post).

However, the amount will vary from broker to broker and the type of account.

Broker demo accounts usually offer less historical data, but it depends on the broker.

Bollinger68:

So my question is, if I can't get accurate tick data for my testing from my broker, what's my options?

Thanks, Paul

1. Test and optimize with MQ Forex data.
  2. Test with live demo account with your broker.
  3. Start trading with a cent account with your broker ...
Or you buy data and build your own custom symbol: https://www.mql5.com/en/search#!keyword=custom%20symbol.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Your broker's support message is regarding MT4 and not MT5.

When using MT5, you will have access to real tick data available from your broker (and that includes the broker for which I removed the reference from your post).

However, the amount will vary from broker to broker and the type of account.

Broker demo accounts usually offer less historical data, but it depends on the broker.

Many thanks for your reply...

I wasn't exactly convinced by the reply that I got from my broker, so I have sent them another email with a bit more detail

To be honest with you though, I have spent most of the day researching this and there seems to be a lot of mixed information out there. Some people saying the data is available, others saying that I would need to get it via a third party which I don't really want to do

If I can get real MT5 tick data for say the last year or so from my broker then I will most likely switch from MT4 to MT5

Bollinger68 #:

Many thanks for your reply...

I wasn't exactly convinced by the reply that I got from my broker, so I have sent them another email with a bit more detail

To be honest with you though, I have spent most of the day researching this and there seems to be a lot of mixed information out there. Some people saying the data is available, others saying that I would need to get it via a third party which I don't really want to do

If I can get real MT5 tick data for say the last year or so from my broker then I will most likely switch from MT4 to MT5

The "depth" of the historical data, doesn't depend much of MT5 but more on the broker. Though the broker can decide to provide more or less historical data and that may be MetaQuotes which will provide these data (when a broker start with MT5).

Beside that MT4 is obsolete platform everyone should drop.

Bollinger68 #: Many thanks for your reply... I wasn't exactly convinced by the reply that I got from my broker, so I have sent them another email with a bit more detail. To be honest with you though, I have spent most of the day researching this and there seems to be a lot of mixed information out there. Some people saying the data is available, others saying that I would need to get it via a third party which I don't really want to do If I can get real MT5 tick data for say the last year or so from my broker then I will most likely switch from MT4 to MT5

Regarding MT5, normally you will be able to get tick data for any of the symbols that the broker offers. It depends however on the broker, the type of account and the symbol itself.

Some only offer a few months and others offer several years of tick data. You can easily test this using the Symbols (Ctrl-U) panel to interrogate the available data.

Please note however, that for the particular broker you mentioned, the download of tick data on their demo accounts is extremely slow. It is much faster on their real accounts.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Regarding MT5, normally you will be able to get tick data for any of the symbols that the broker offers. It depends however on the broker, the type of account and the symbol itself.

Some only offer a few months and others offer several years of tick data. You can easily test this using the Symbols (Ctrl-U) panel to interrogate the available data.

Please note however, that for the particular broker you mentioned, the download of tick data on their demo accounts is extremely slow. It is much faster on their real accounts.

Thanks again for your reply...

I have a Raw ECN MT5 account and It looks like the data is available. I've managed to download historical tick data (all ticks) from the start of 2022 for a few Forex pairs plus Gold. Each one took about 30 seconds in total, and that was with an MT5 demo account. So fingers crossed I shouldn't have any issues with any of the other instruments I plan to trade. 

Reason: