Perhaps my logic is flawed

Guys please take a look at this.

This line of code is supposed to count all the positions and return the number of open positions... It does so perfectly.

But then I added, if the number of positions is > 5 then don't open positions

stt = 5

The problem is that it just goes ahead to open multiple positions until I run out of money. What do you think? Perhaps my logic is flawed because I need it to open only 5 POSITIONS WHEN SET CONDITIONS ARE MET.

If you don't mind, please assist. Thank you!

//... more codes above
for(int i =PositionsTotal()-1;i>=0;i--)
{
string symbols = PositionGetSymbol(i);
string pos_type = EnumToString(ENUM_POSITION_TYPE(PositionGetInteger(POSITION_TYPE)));

if ((_Symbol == symbols) && (pos_type == EnumToString(POSITION_TYPE_SELL)))
{pcount++;
{
 if((p_close<p_open)&&(pcount<=stt))
 {trade.Sell(lotsize,NULL,Bid,0,0,NULL); 
 }
}
  } 

Chioma Obunadike:

This line of code is supposed to count all the positions and return the number of open positions... It does so perfectly.

stt = 5

The problem is that it just goes ahead to open multiple positions until I run out of money. What do you think? Perhaps my logic is flawed because I need it to open only 5 POSITIONS WHEN SET CONDITIONS ARE MET.

This code is executed on each tick I guess ?

Alain Verleyen #:
This code is executed on each tick I guess ?
Yes you are correct. Should I use a different event handler? But I would need it to constantly check how many trades are open. 

Chioma Obunadike #:
Yes you are correct. Should I use a different event handler? But I would need it to constantly check how many trades are open. 

No, the problem is PositionTotal() isn't update directly when you open a new trade. There is a delay which can be longer than receiving new tick(s).

Discussed many times on the forum, please do a search about it.

Chioma Obunadike: But then I added, if the number of positions is > 5 then don't open positions
Count your positions. Then, after the loop, test your condition.

Chioma Obunadike:

stt = 5

If the goal is OP (Open Position) as much as STT, why don't you simplify it by making a loop as much as STT?

like this:

for(int i=stt-1; i>=0; i--)

And leaves just one condition for OP:

if((p_close<p_open) trade.Sell(lotsize,NULL,Bid,0,0,NULL); 

If there is no OP then you just check p_close and p_open value.

I hope this helps. Have a nice coding :-)

Nino Guevara Ruwano #:

If the goal is OP (Open Position) as much as STT, why don't you simplify it by making a loop as much as STT?

like this:

And leaves just one condition for OP:

If there is no OP then you just check p_close and p_open value.

I hope this helps. Have a nice coding :-)

Yes. This was the solution I finally used. Thank you. 
Reason: