Executeable only

how can i get a ".EX4" FILE to work without the mql4 file accompanying it.

dan,

It's only .ex4 files that you need to start with. They are the compiled code (which MT4 executes) from an MQ4 file, the latter being the source code file.

If it's an expert then put it in your Metatrader4\experts dir and if it's an indicators, it goes in Metatrader4\experts\indicators dir

Martin

I did that but it still will not work without the source code. Any ideas

Well, I'm not sure. .ex4 files do not need the source code to operate.
If you like, you can email me the .ex4 fiile and I'll try it for you, see if it will run on my machine and look at resolving it for you. email me at martin at cooney dot com dot au if you'd like.

I've found that if you #include another file, like stdlib.mqh from the include directory, you can have problems if you just distribute the .ex4 file.

The problem seems to be that stdlib.mqh imports another file, stdlib.ex4 from the libraries directory. Unfortunately, MT4 doesn't seem to come with stdlib.ex4, which is a compiled version stdlib.mq4, which it does have. If you haven't compiled stdlib.mq4, which is also in the libraries directory, you don't have stdlib.ex4. I think that when you distribute the .mq4 file of your indicator or expert and #include stdlib.mqh, stdlib.mq4 gets compiled when your .mq4 gets compiled. But if you just distribute your .ex4, the other file doesn't get compiled.

I hope that's understandable. Trace through the library and include directories and hopefully it will make sense.

Regards,
Loren
Reason: