How can I retrieve specific mt4 indicator data using python api

I am using an indicator and I have connected using the python metatrader5 package, but I don't know how to get specific indicator data. I have a specific indicator that I want to extract data from in my program but I don't know how. Chatgpt seems to be wrong on this also :S 

M Ibrahim: I am using an indicator and I have connected using the python metatrader5 package, but I don't know how to get specific indicator data. I have a specific indicator that I want to extract data from in my program but I don't know how. Chatgpt seems to be wrong on this also :S 

The Python API is unable to access indicators, neither internal nor custom indicators.

You will have to code your EA in MQL or rewrite the indicator calculations in Python.

EDIT: And please stop using ChatGPT. It is absolutely useless for MQL or Python for MetaTrader.

Fernando Carreiro #:

The Python API is enable to access indicators, neither internal nor custom indicators.

You will have to code your EA in MQL or rewrite the indicator calculations in Python.

EDIT: And please stop using ChatGPT. It is absolutely useless for MQL or Python for MetaTrader.

I initially wanted to code it in python but I don't know how the indicator is calculated. Its a custom indicator with no documentation. In that case, it's not possible at all to extract indicator data via the python api?

M Ibrahim #:I initially wanted to code it in python but I don't know how the indicator is calculated. Its a custom indicator with no documentation. In that case, it's not possible at all to extract indicator data via the python api?

Do you not have the indicator's source code?

If not, then no, not via Python API. Only via the iCustom() function in MQL.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Do you not have the indicator's source code?

If not, then no, not via Python API. Only via the iCustom() function in MQL.

I don't have the indicators source code, only the indicator itself. Is there another way to figure out how it's calculated?

M Ibrahim #: I don't have the indicators source code, only the indicator itself. Is there another way to figure out how it's calculated?

Yes, by observation and deduction, but that will most likely also require knowledge about MQL indicator functionality.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Yes, by observation and deduction, but that will most likely also require knowledge about MQL5 indicator functionality.

Unfortunately I am not capable of deducing any conclucsion out of it. Any other ideas?

M Ibrahim #:Unfortunately I am not capable of deducing any conclucsion out of it. Any other ideas?

Just noticed that your topic title states "MT4 Indicator". MT4 does not have a Python API. Only MT5 has a Python API.

If you wish to code an for MT4, you will have to do it in MQL4, not Python.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Just noticed that your topic title states "MT4 Indicator". MT4 does not have a Python API. Only MT5 has a Python API.

If you wish to code an for MT4, you will have to do it in MQL4, not Python.

Ok, but is it even possible with only the indicator file and no documentation?

M Ibrahim #:

Ok, but is it even possible with only the indicator file and no documentation?

Does Google still performs image searches? Let it search for the image you indicator creates. I guess there are similar indicators.

M Ibrahim #:Ok, but is it even possible with only the indicator file and no documentation?

Yes, by using the iCustom function. Even without documentation you can see which values are supplied for which buffers by observing the output in Data Window.

You can also hire someone to do that research for you or to develop the MQL4 EA.

iCustom - Technical Indicators - MQL4 Reference
  • docs.mql4.com
Reason: