Please Help: MT5 Strategy Tester errors: "No History Data" after bars imported and Flat line on Graph results - page 2

Nico170 #: Can someone please help? The problem is still there, even after uninstalling, running on different computers, etc. Is there a different data set that is recommended for 5 years+ backtesting, specifically in "Every Tick based on Real Ticks" mode?

As we have stated, on our systems it works, so it is not MT5. You are probably doing something incorrectly.

However, we cannot read your mind nor see your computer, so we are unable to identify what it is that you might be doing incorrectly.

Nico170 #: Can someone please help? The problem is still there, even after uninstalling, running on different computers, etc. Is there a different data set that is recommended for 5 years+ backtesting, specifically in "Every Tick based on Real Ticks" mode? Thank you!

Question: Are you also importing the tick data or only the bar data?

In all your screenshots you only seem to show bar data, but you have not shown any screenshots of the tick data.

So, if you are ONLY importing M1 Bar Data, then OBVIOUSLY, you cannot test against Real Tick Data.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Question: Are you also importing the tick data or only the bar data?

In all your screenshots you only seem to show bar data, but you have not shown any screenshots of the tick data.

So, if you are ONLY importing M1 Bar Data, then OBVIOUSLY, you cannot test against Real Tick Data.

With bar data every ticks is allowed?

Milko Vivaldi #: With bar data every ticks is allowed?

Yes it is allowed because "Every tick" are virtual ticks based only on the Bar data, while "Every tick based on real ticks" requires the real tick data to also be imported.

Nico170:

Hello,

I am having multiple issues with backtesting EAs (M1 timeframe) in the Strategy Tester.

I believe I have followed all steps correctly to import bars (hist data) from Dukascopy (by creating a custom symbol, etc.), but when I try to run a test for any EA (including MT5 EAs), one of two error messages appear in the journal: 

1. EURUSD1: no history data from 2020.09.01 00:00 to 2022.09.01 00:00

Online recommendations seem to suggest checking that the data was successfully imported is the first step, by clicking on the "Request" button for the date range of the data. I have tried this and my data does not appear. I have tried 20 times to import, with three separate CSV files, from three different brokers/data providers, and nothing works.

Yesterday I successfully imported data from a two year period, but could not use the data for testing due to the following error message:

2. EURUSD,M1: history begins from 2020.09.01 00:00

I have tried using the data with every time frame: Last month, Last year, Entire History, and Custom Period: Nothing works. I am positive I have set the custom period to be within the date range of the data, and have tried a few days either side (on either end) just to be safe.

I am positive the data is functional and not corrupted in any way, since I used it successfully for backtesting three days ago (I accidentally deleted the custom symbol for the data yesterday and since then cannot get anything to work). I always preselect the M1 timeframe in the settings section of the Strategy Tester before importing data.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled MT5 multiple times. I always shut down and restart MT5 after importing new data. I have created and used several demo accounts from different brokers. 

Finally, when I try to use MT5's own data on MT5's own EA (Moving Average EA), the resulting graph is a flat line, no matter what date range I select, and the "Backtest" section of the Strategy Tester shows "0" for all sections.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have the same problem!

Sometimes it works but often it doesn't... I see the bars on the custon chart but the system says "failed to get history eurusd,M1"

Also the other question about zero results when the backtest is in cash (while it works fine when in pips with specific flag), also if I have stoploss or takeprofit (cash mode without flag) the trade doesn't exit but crosses them. .. so it always remains on the market...

For me is my Windows even whether before it worked correctly, bah....

Milko Vivaldi #:

I have the same problem!

Sometimes it works but often it doesn't... I see the bars on the custon chart but the system says "failed to get history eurusd,M1"

Also the other question about zero results when the backtest is in cash (while it works fine when in pips with specific flag), also if I have stoploss or takeprofit (cash mode without flag) the trade doesn't exit but crosses them. .. so it always remains on the market...

For me is my Windows even whether before it worked correctly, bah....

To check whether it is  problem of your broker try a demo account with Metaquotes.

Fernando Carreiro #:

I have used Dukascopy data generated by TickStory with both MT4 and MT5 before and never had any issues. However, I am using Windows 10 Pro, not WINE.

I currently no longer use it because the broker supplied data is sufficient for my needs and is a better match to the trading conditions that will be in play when trading live with that broker.

Why don't you first check a demo account with MetQuotes?
Reason: