Common Folder

I'm a bit confused about the Common Folder.

Can you store EAs, Scripts, Indicators in there and have it appear in all the Terminals?

Or is it just for a second "Files" folder that you can access from the Terminal? I assume you need to specifically tell the MQL code to use it instead of the Terminal's Files folder, right? I mean you can't just do a FileOpen with a relative path and it would open from the Common Folder if it wasn't found in the terminals Folder?

ycomp: I'm a bit confused about the Common Folder. Can you store EAs, Scripts, Indicators in there and have it appear in all the Terminals? Or is it just for a second "Files" folder that you can access from the Terminal? I assume you need to specifically tell the MQL code to use it instead of the Terminal's Files folder, right? I mean you can't just do a FileOpen with a relative path and it would open from the Common Folder if it wasn't found in the terminals Folder?
No, it is mainly just for the "Files" sub-directory when reading and writing files from MQL programes with the FILE_COMMON flag.

ycomp:

I'm a bit confused about the Common Folder.

Can you store EAs, Scripts, Indicators in there and have it appear in all the Terminals?

Or is it just for a second "Files" folder that you can access from the Terminal? I assume you need to specifically tell the MQL code to use it instead of the Terminal's Files folder, right? I mean you can't just do a FileOpen with a relative path and it would open from the Common Folder if it wasn't found in the terminals Folder?

I don't know about the eas indicators but its a path that can be accessed by all terminals of the pc . So you could base a communications bridge between terminals on the files of the common folder (that is how local trade copiers work actually)

Fernando Carreiro #:
No, it is mainly just for the "Files" sub-directory when reading and writing files from MQL programes with the FILE_COMMON flag.

ah I didn't see that Flag, thanks

ycomp #: ah I didn't see that Flag, thanks
You are welcome!

just to confirm, using the Common folder in MetaQuotes\Terminals in %APPDATA% I can put files there that can be read by both MT4 and MT5 terminals, as long as they use this FILE_COMMON flag?

ycomp #: just to confirm, using the Common folder in MetaQuotes\Terminals in %APPDATA% I can put files there that can be read by both MT4 and MT5 terminals, as long as they use this FILE_COMMON flag?
Yes! Just test it out and see for yourself but remember to use the "shared" flags too, if you will be accessing the files simultaneously.

yes I use the shared flag already, it is just for reading. I don't need to write anything.
Reason: