Input Validation

How do people usually validate their input values?

I was "cheating" doing things like using uint instead of int (to prevent negative values) however the compiler doesn't seem to like this much because later on when I compare unit to int variables it gives a "sign mismatch" warning.

ycomp:How do people usually validate their input values? I was "cheating" doing things like using uint instead of int (to prevent negative values) however the compiler doesn't seem to like this much because later on when I compare unit to int variables it gives a "sign mismatch" warning.

Please read the documentation on the return value for the OnInit() event handler, specifically the following ...

INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT

Designed to denote an incorrect set of input parameters by a programmer. In the general optimization table, the result string with this return code is highlighted in red.

A test for such a set of EA inputs is not performed. The agent is ready to receive a new task.

When this value is received, the strategy tester does not pass this task to other agents for repeated execution.

Documentation on MQL5: Event Handling / OnInit
Documentation on MQL5: Event Handling / OnInit
  • www.mql5.com
OnInit - Event Handling - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

Fernando Carreiro #:

Please read the documentation on the return value for the OnInit() event handler, specifically the following ...

INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT

Designed to denote an incorrect set of input parameters by a programmer. In the general optimization table, the result string with this return code is highlighted in red.

A test for such a set of EA inputs is not performed. The agent is ready to receive a new task.

When this value is received, the strategy tester does not pass this task to other agents for repeated execution.

thanks

An option for the Init-Method is something like this:

If (variable < minimum) variable = default;

Benjamin Fotteler #:

An option for the Init-Method is something like this:

yeah this is better. I tried return  INIT_PARAMETERS_INCORRECT and it removes the EA from my template.. so this is not desired behaviour for me

ycomp #: so this is not desired behaviour for me

Don't you want to know that you tried wrong values? Ignorance is not bliss.

To not be ignorant, there should be an print output like:

if (variable < minimum) {
        variable = default;
        Print("variable x was to small, set it to default value", default);
}

Benjamin Fotteler #: To not be ignorant, there should be an print output like:

Which will be ignored, unless the indicator exits.

Reason: