Strategy Tester with custom time frame?

Hey gang.

I've spent a bunch of time google searching and can't come up with a solid answer. How can I load custom time frames into the strategy tester? I'd like to test my EA on the 2m timeframe.

Thanks in advance.

rrsch: Hey gang. I've spent a bunch of time google searching and can't come up with a solid answer. How can I load custom time frames into the strategy tester? I'd like to test my EA on the 2m timeframe. Thanks in advance.

On MT4's Strategy Tester, you are not able to test against custom time-frames or custom symbols (aka Offline Charts).

The workaround is to have your EA build the custom data internally and run against that.

For example, for M2, you would run the EA on M1 time-frame, and have it internally build the M2 data and calculate indicator values internally against that generated data.

EDIT: Another option is to code an Indicator that does the building of the data, and have the EA use that indicator.

Fernando Carreiro #:

On MT4's Strategy Tester, you are not able to test against custom time-frames or custom symbols (aka Offline Charts).

The workaround is to have your EA build the custom data internally and run against that.

For example, for M2, you would run the EA on M1 time-frame, and have it internally build the M2 data and calculate indicator values internally against that generated data.

EDIT: Another option is to code an Indicator that does the building of the data, and have the EA use that indicator.

Thanks for the info. That sounds out of scope for me coding-wise, but I'll keep it in mind if I want to hire someone.

Is MT5 the same?

rrsch #: Is MT5 the same?

No! On MT5, not only does it have more time-frames, including M2, you can easily run the Strategy Tester against Custom Symbols which can also have other custom or non-standard time-frames, like Constant Range Bars or Renko.

Fernando Carreiro #:

No! On MT5, not only does it have more time-frames, including M2, you can easily run the Strategy Tester against Custom Symbols which can also have other custom or non-standard time-frames, like Constant Range Bars or Renko.

Ah, ok.

One broker I use only has MT4, so that's all I've looked into so far. In terms of porting an EA from MT4 to MT5 would you say that it's typically pretty easy? Or does it tend to be more involved?

rrsch #: In terms of porting an EA from MT4 to MT5 would you say that it's typically pretty easy? Or does it tend to be more involved?

It's not easy at all. It's quite complex in fact. For a beginner coder as yourself, it will be very challenging.

Fernando Carreiro #:

It's not easy at all. It's quite complex in fact. For a beginner coder as yourself, it will be very challenging.

Good to know. Thanks for much for the help Fernando!

Reason: