What to do with unprofitable positions? - page 4

Vladimir Karputov:

Like that kind of channel?

I work with the Hodrick-Prescott modification, I like it better. But it's a matter of taste.

Vitaly Muzichenko:

I had a channel that was built very cleverly, I wrote a simple EA on it, which worked quite well, then I put it aside for further modification. I've been working with it for some time now and I can't find it, I must have nailed it with some terminal. It really was a channel, I've never seen anything like it before.

It was the channel )))) What was so careless, left us without the Grail )

Vladimir Karputov:

Here is the strategy:

* Step 1. Initially, pending orders, for example Buy Limit and Sell Limit, are placed at the same distance from the current price (example code of scripts:Pending orders UP,Pending orders DOWN- just as an example of placing pending orders).

* Step 2: When one of the pending orders triggers, the rest of them are deleted and step 1 is repeated.

After a while, positions with losses are accumulated, while we can also see profitable positions. Question: How can I minimize losing positions?

Once a year we encounter such a situation, and that is the end of the deposit. You do not need this situation very often, it is enough to have a zeroed-out account.

Of course you can close the sell and wait for the reversal, but there is no guarantee that it will happen. In general, the nett work is a very subtle subject. In the screenshot, the Expert Advisor has worked perfectly for 1.5 years, and then it got into this mess. This strategy is discarded.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

It was a CHANNEL )))) What was so careless, leaving us without the Grail )

I had a lot of stuff gone, especially after the HDD "crash".

Vitaly Muzichenko:

I've lost a lot of stuff, especially after a HDD "crash".

Yep, also had a Hitachi 2 Tb crash about 3 years ago, barely saved the data. Started constantly re-patterning, so with the heads whiz-wiz-wiz, the speed slowed down, I urgently dumped everything to an external drive and an hour later it died. Good thing, there was a warranty, it was replaced.

Vitaly Muzichenko:

So once a year you get a situation like this, and that's it - the deposit is dead. This situation is often unnecessary, it is enough to stay with a zeroed-out account.

Of course one can close one's sell and wait for the reversal, but there is no guarantee that the reversal will happen. In general, net traders are a very subtle subject. In the screenshot, the Expert Advisor has worked perfectly for 1.5 years, and then it got into this mess. This strategy is discarded.

Great strategy by the way.

Guys!!! Everyone over hereAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I know the answer to.....

They just don't need to be hoarded, yes yes... in other words close......How? you ask... I'll tell you by the stop loss.... Good luck!

Mihail Marchukajtes:

Guys!!! Everyone over hereAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I know the answer to.....

They just don't need to be hoarded, yes yes... in other words close......How? you ask... I'll tell you by the stop loss.... Good luck!

For exactly this kind of trading in the channel:

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

What should I do with losing positions?

Alexey Volchanskiy, 2017.09.09 14:58

At least work with the channel. Sell limit set at the upper limit, TP = lower_limit + const. For buy limit it's the other way round

Stop loss is not an option.

Vladimir Karputov:

For exactly this kind of trading in a channel:

stop loss is not an option.

Unfortunately it is difficult to earn only on one grid, otherwise it would be so easy, so martins, illans, etc. in pure form is always a failure, but if you attach them to the basic strategy, then they begin to show their best side. Just place two orders in different directions, it is not right. This is because an error just begins with the first order opened.

The sense of any strategy is to minimize mistakes and maximize luck. As an option, we should not make such deals on every bar, but on special ones according to some principles. It will be necessary to find such bars at which, in such an order layout, the losses are minimal.

Here's testing a semi-automatic netminder. I only set the trend direction manually, the rest is automatic. I enter by candlestick pattern, exit either by virtual breakeven or virtual trawl. If I have made a mistake with the trend, I first close it as a lock and then, if it is really confirmed as being wrong, I set a new trend direction and increase the lot. After breakeven I return the initial lot.

Reason: