How can one tolerate losses, or a life of waiting for profits? - page 2

-Aleks-:

Actually, the question is: how can one sit and wait for profits while trading in the trend and losing systematically in the flat? For example, I have a couple of profitable waves, and the rest of the time I am broke - what thoughts or self-adjustments, except blind faith, should help me not to worry when looking at trading results? When you trade against the trend, you get depressed once a year when you lose, but here every day you get a bite of....

Please share your thoughts on this topic.

And I've long since come to terms with it... I'm just draining slowly, "at the speed of the spread" - that's all...

I just think that trading is not for me. I don't have enough ideas, I'm not paying enough attention to it, I'm not observant and persistent enough. I see it simply as an interesting task - without any expectation of profit. Sort of like proving Fermat's Grand Theorem.

Losses can be tolerated - if one considers that more losses lie ahead .

-Aleks-:

I am psychologically uncomfortable with losing streaks - I get anxious and disappointed in myself. Now I trade with my hands, and every trade at a loss gets me down - I'm looking for new ideas for trend trading. Especially annoying are stops - I look at the history and realize that without them I would not have lost a third of my deposit in a couple of days - emotions - inadequate behaviour...

Maybe the problem is not to trade in kitchens that play with stops as they please? For a start you need to compare quotes with market data, maybe the trading itself wasn't the problem...

Andrei:

Maybe the problem is not to trade in kitchens that play with stops as they please? For a start you have to compare quotes with market data, maybe the trading itself wasn't the problem...

George Merts:

I put up with it a long time ago... I'm just taking it slowly, "at the speed of the spread" - that's all...

I just think that trading is not for me. I don't have enough ideas, I don't pay enough attention to it, I'm not observant and persistent enough. I see it simply as an interesting task - without any expectation of profit. Sort of like proving Fermat's Grand Theorem.

Well, then again. I totally agree with you, the market always makes you think. A kind of trainer for the brain. That's why I like it.) The profit is secondary. It's not important. It's precisely at such moments that it comes, when you don't think about it.

George Merts:

I've been at peace with it for a while now... I've been losing slowly, "at the speed of the spread" -...

Wouldn't it be better, then, to slowly drain it on the demo? Or is demo not interesting, not stimulating or nerve-racking?

Aleksandr Praslov:

Good afternoon! Thanks for the very interesting thoughts out loud!

I think that if you put all the considerations expressed into a trading system, you could end up with a very interesting thing!

You're welcome - lots of thoughts, but not sure how many are clever... So maybe you need to trade against me to build up capital.

George Merts:

I put up with it a long time ago... I've been losing slowly, "at the speed of the spread" - that's all...

I just think that trading is not for me. I don't have enough ideas, I'm not paying enough attention to it, I'm not observant and persistent enough. I see it simply as an interesting task - without any expectation of profit. Sort of like proving Fermat's Grand Theorem.

Probably you're right - hand trading is probably not for me - the uncertainty is tense - I'm losing confidence in the future...

If drawdown at spread rate is half the trouble, but if the drawdown reaches 30%, as it is with me now, then I just estimate how much time I would need to trade with minimal lot (5 years for a good deal) .... and generally starting to wonder if it's even necessary.

As a hobby it's interesting - yes, but when it's your only source of income, and you work as a trader from 10 to 23 every day... A year has gone by and I haven't seen it.

Alexander Ivanov:

Losses can be tolerated - if one considers that more losses lie ahead .

What is the point of tolerating them then? Why can't you stop?

-Aleks-:

What is the point of putting up with them then? Why can't you stop?
I don't know.

Andrei:

Maybe the problem is not to trade in kitchens that play with stops as they please? For a start you need to compare quotes with market data, maybe the trade itself wasn't the problem...

My DC is trading a counter-trend - without stops, although the TS also provides for breakeven fixing, but I haven't done enough research in this direction - I'm working more on profit taking.

I trade on Moex, i.e. on real quotes. The thing is different - I saw a potential flat on 15-minute (counter-trend experience), but there was a strong movement on the minute that destroyed my plans of price movement - I fixed loss on the last candle - after it there was a reversal and I could decrease loss by 75%, and I had profit the day after... I had pure emotion here - I made a decision whether to take all or 20%, in the end the fear won me over.

I was not afraid to plummet before - I limited my risk for a year to a certain percentage of income, but now the situation has changed - there is no other income - that is the result of fatalism.

I am writing so that people will take my experience into account when making meaningful life-changing decisions, I guess.

Reason: