A flat indicator.

What is the best flat indicator in your opinion? If you don't mind, you can post it here or in person.

You can use the difference between maxima and minima - small, so it's a flat. The 2nd variant - we determine the deviation from the MA or the regression line + their slope.

Actually, we do not need a separate indicator, because usually something necessary for determination is already present in the system, and we only need to use if().

Yuriy Asaulenko:

You can use the difference between maxima and minima - small, so it's a flat. The 2nd variant - we determine the deviation from the MA or the regression line + their slope.

Actually, we do not need a separate indicator, because usually something necessary is in the system, and we only need to do if().

This is already a specific flat. It would be desirable to define it earlier.

Yuriy Asaulenko:

Actually, we do not need a separate indicator, because usually something necessary for determination is already in the system, and the only thing to do is if().

How to separate the consolidation zone from the flat?

Ibragim Dzhanaev:

This is already a concrete flat. I wish it could have been detected earlier.
A flat is defined after it is formed, you need a psychic, not an indicator, to define it earlier.
Usually a flat is useful for trading on a breakdown in my opinion, not inside it.

Ramiz Mavludov:
A flat is defined after it is formed, you need a psychic, not an indicator, to identify it earlier.
Usually a flat is useful for trading on a breakdown in my opinion, not inside it.

What are the signs of an incipient flat?

Ibragim Dzhanaev:

What are the signs of an incipient flat?
Lack of fundamentally important news. Candlestick patterns.
Highs and lows weekly megatrends daily.

Ramiz Mavludov:
Lack of fundamentally important news. Candlestick patterns.
Highs and lows weekly megatrends daily.

Of the above, maybe only candlestick patterns, but I doubt it.... How to determine? What kind of patterns?

Ibragim Dzhanaev:

How do you separate the consolidation zone from the flat?
There is no way, imho. Flat on minutes, flat on 15 minutes, on hours, on days. Here it is here, but not on other TF - here we play, here we do not play, here we wrap a herring.

Yuriy Asaulenko:
Nothing, imho. The flat is on the minutes, the flat is on 15 minutes, on hours, in days. It is here, but not on another timeframe - here we play, here we do not play, here we wrap herring.

It appears that if we shift to another TF we may avoid the flat, but how to determine the start of the flat, even if it is a false signal - but how to determine it?

How to separate the consolidation from the flat and from the state when it is not clear what is going on in the market.

I am not asking you specifically, just thinking out loud.

Ibragim Dzhanaev:

It turns out that if we switch to another TF, we may avoid the flat, but how to determine the beginnings of the flat, even if it is a false signal - but how to determine?

Any changes start with the lower TF and then spread (or not) to the higher TF. So, start determining with the lower ones.

Consolidation or flat - may you define it yourself or only retrospectively?

Reason: