Tick data MT5

Hi, i downloaded tick data from dukascopy, to get 100% quality, but it doesnt match real trades, while the mt5 symbold does. So i assume dukascopy doesnt match my brokers quotes or something? How can i know what source my broker uses so that i can download it?

Thanks!

iberhack:

Hi, i downloaded tick data from dukascopy, to get 100% quality, but it doesnt match real trades, while the mt5 symbold does. So i assume dukascopy doesnt match my brokers quotes or something? How can i know what source my broker uses so that i can download it?

Thanks!

Exactly, if you download real tick data from another source, it will not much your broker's real tick data.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

Exactly, if you download real tick data from another source, it will not much your broker's real tick data.

Yes but how can i know what source to use so that it matches my brokers one? Do i ask my broker?

iberhack #:

Yes but how can i know what source to use so that it matches my brokers one? Do i ask my broker?

The best way is to test using MT5 Strategy Tester, it uses you own broker's real tick data and its results are trustworthy, as long as you achieve a 99-100% quality.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

The best way is to test using MT5 Strategy Tester, it uses you own broker's real tick data and its results are trustworthy, as long as you achieve a 99-100% quality.

But i only get a few months of real tick data downloading it on MT5 by itself, while i get almost 20 years of real tick data from dukascopy, that doesnt match, but maybe other source like alpari, FXCM, darwinex... can match. There is no way of knowing which one my broker uses?

iberhack #:

But i only get a few months of real tick data downloading it on MT5 by itself, while i get almost 20 years of real tick data from dukascopy, that doesnt match, but maybe other source like alpari, FXCM, darwinex... can match. There is no way of knowing which one my broker uses?

There is no point in testing back for more than a couple of years.

If you want so old data, there is no way you can get that from your broker's MT5 auto download.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

There is no point in testing back for more than a couple of years.

If you want so old data, there is no way you can get that from your broker's MT5 auto download.

It might happen that the system gives good results for a couple years but maybe it was random luck and testing 20 years you can see if it is consistent edge and not random. Thats how i see it atleast.

iberhack #: So i assume dukascopy doesnt match my brokers quotes or something? How can i know what source my broker uses so that i can download it?... Yes but how can i know what source to use so that it matches my brokers one?

Take note of this very important lesson!

If your EA is only profitable in back-tests with tick data from a different source (e.g. Dukascopy vs your broker) or is only profitable with your broker data but not with another broker's data, then I can guarantee that your EA will NOT be profitable, when it is taken live. This I can guarantee you.

It may seem to be profitable for a short while but will quickly begin to lose its winning streak. And the reason is simple! Future data will be different to past history data. That is why it pays to run your EA through Monte Carlo simulations, to see if it will hold up to different conditions. If it can't, then it will eventually fail when live trading.

So, if you really want to test the robustness of your EA, run tests against data from various brokers, including tick data from Dukascopy, including virtual ticks and not just real ticks, including control-point back-tests, including slippage and time delays, fixed spreads small and large, etc.

Put up a fight against your EA to see if it is robust enough, and then you get test it live on demo and then real account.

What Is a Monte Carlo Simulation?
What Is a Monte Carlo Simulation?
  • www.investopedia.com
Monte Carlo simulations are used to model the probability of different outcomes in a process that cannot easily be predicted due to the intervention of random variables. It is a technique used to understand the impact of risk and uncertainty in prediction and forecasting models. A Monte Carlo simulation can be used to tackle a range of problems...

Reason: