Free lectures from Stanford University - page 6

TheXpert:

By the way, it was so successful that one of the teachers of this course -- Sebastian Thrun (AI course) -- decided to give up teaching at Stanford to teach online :)

In fact, here it is, the brainchild -- http://www.udacity.com/

And I think it's not too much of a stretch to say that intermediate and advanced courses may well be (and most likely will be) more effective than lectures at a university on a similar subject.

Here's my question to the occupants of this thread: why learn maths that has nothing to do with trading and not learn the maths that the whole world's trading is built on? Only very popular.

faa1947:
Here's my question to the occupants of this thread: why learn maths that has nothing to do with trading and not learn the maths that the whole world's trading is built on? Only very popular.

There's something foggy about it. Mathematics is used in any kind of trading. The same EA filters prices either by dividing the sum of N prices by N (SMA) or by constructing an ARMA (EMA[t] = a*X[t] + (1 - a)*EMA[t-1]). That is, mathematical operations are used. If you want to start an argument about the usefulness of neural networks and econometrics, it will be tricky because the EMA is econometric in nature. And since it is hard to find a trader who does not use EMA, this argument will be won by econometricians.

faa1947:
"Who are you? Say goodbye." (c)

gpwr:

There's something foggy about it. Mathematics is used in any kind of trading. The same Dashboard filters prices either by dividing the sum of N prices by N (SMA) or by constructing an ARMA (EMA[t] = a*X[t] + (1 - a)*EMA[t-1]). That is, mathematical operations are used. If you want to start an argument about the usefulness of neural networks and econometrics, it will be tricky because the EMA is econometric in nature. And since it is hard to find a trader who does not use EMA, this argument will be won by econometricians.

I had a purely cognitive question.

EMA has nothing to do with econometrics and neither does mashka, as there is no estimation when used.

NS are part of econometrics and are used for classification.

As much as I didn't understand it, I still don't understand why people spend time on fairly complex stuff rather than sit down and study something that can make money. Mainstream.... after all.

Purely idle interest.

TheXpert:

In fact, here it is, the brainchild -- http://www.udacity.com/

There's only one course I've seen from him.

faa1947:

NS are part of econometrics and are used for classification.

Oh yes. All mathematics is part of econometrics.

There's only one course I've seen from him.

Yes, he is the organiser, his course is the only one (I think)

faa1947:

...I still don't understand why people spend time on fairly complicated things rather than sit down and study something that can bring in money. Mainstream, after all....

Purely idle interest.

Are you talking about technical analysis? Explain what "makes money".

gpwr:

Are you talking about technical analysis? Explain what "makes money".

There are university degrees in "econometrics", "mathematical statistics", "statistics". But nowhere in the world is there a TA speciality. By the volume of hours: the mentioned disciplines are several hundreds of hours in different kinds, TA is 18 hours. TA is for Pinocchios, so that they pour out depots with an important look.

From my own life.

In the early 90s I took a course in cheque fund management. The lectures were given by English fund managers. The freebies took place in a sanatorium outside Moscow. There was food (at the time it was tight), a swimming pool, fitness equipment, a winter garden. About 400 people gathered in the assembly hall. They said: fill in the forms, we'll filter them. All of them were smart and fluent in English. The next day they started to read out all of the applicants, 50 of them, the rest had to leave because they didn't get anything for free. They shouted out that they knew English, but they were told that English had nothing to do with it. After that I spent 4 weeks with a pulse and not a single word about TA.

faa1947:

In the early 1990s, I was acclimatised to a course in cheque fund management. The lectures were given by English fund managers.

And what are you doing on this forum anyway?