FOREX - Trends, Forecasts and Implications (Episode 5: July 2011) - page 4

strangerr:

In this case, as I understand it, it is short-term.
I understand, but I want to be more specific: how many hours, days? pips do not count - pips can only be counted on history.

Mathemat:
margaret, sorry to be snide: what do you think a "short position" is?
I understand what you mean... In this case, I meant trading during the day. I.e. opened in the morning, closed in the evening + you can sell or buy during the day, but within a trend, and if you have a small deposit or open a position against the main trend, you must set a short SL.

strangerr:

In this case, as I understand it, short-term.
That's right!

strangerr: In this case, as I understand it, it's short-lived.

That's what I understood too (only because of the context).

But this understanding is not consistent with the term used. "Short position" in finance is short, but in no way short-term.

P.S. OK, margaret, credit. It's just not the first time I've seen such liberties about the term "short", and last time it was a girl too... It's not a long way to Freudian interpretations of the phenomenon - especially when you consider that there's ten times less chance of meeting a girl here than there is of meeting a boy.

Again, forgive me for being nerdy.

margaret:

Friday, 15 July. Greece must pay its creditors €2.4 billion. If the country does not receive the 12-billion-euro loan, it could default.

Greece will not default, at least not until July, as parliament has decided on an €80m bailout.

Mathemat:

That's how I understood it too (only because of the context).

But this understanding is not consistent with the term used. "Short position" in finance is short, but in no way short-term.

P.S. OK, margaret, credit. It's just not the first time I've seen such liberties about the term "short", and last time it was a girl too... It's not a long way to Freudian interpretations of the phenomenon - especially when you consider that the probability of meeting a girl here is ten times less than it is for a boy.

Again, forgive me for being nerdy.

I'm not sure if it's a short position, but it's a short position on the stock market, because the stock is falling faster than it is rising, that's where the concept of short long is coming from. We had Porksaurus here he will confirm if anything, I just added to your post Alexey. This is for the locals as an insight).

Martingeil: short on a stock is called because the stock is going down faster than it is going up, hence the notion of shorting long.

Short is because short of, 'short of'. It has nothing to do with the movement of stocks, as far as I know.

Interestingly, there is the expression "short sell", but there is no "short buy".

Martingeil:
I'm not sure if you're right, but I'm sure you're right, and I'm sure you're right. We had Porksaurus here he will confirm if anything, I just added to your post Alexey. This is for the locals as an insight).
Thanks! I'm getting tired of proving "I'm not an elephant" today ..... What else should I call it when I can scroll (open and close with 0-100 pips profit) up to 200 lots in one day?

Mathemat:

Short is because short of, 'short of'. It has nothing to do with the movement of the stock, as far as I know.

Interestingly, there is the expression "short sell", but there is no "short buy".

I am not Russian, I mean this.

short - a short position is called short because the stock is falling fast

a long position is called a long position because the stock is going up for a long time.

That's why we call it short long.

we have a sell buy.

)))

Reason: