AMD or Intel as well as the memory brand - page 2

lea >> :

Strange. Imho the need to reboot has the least relation to processor (first you should look for problems with software (as the CPU does what it is required to do), then with other hardware - memory, etc.).

I use AMD processors for already 10 years (my first computer was an AMD K6-2 300 MHz) but I haven't any problems. Main computer - AMD Athlon x2 6000+ && 3 Gb of Kingston memory works fine for weeks (with UPS). Secondary computer - AMD Athlon XP 1500+ && 512 Mb of memory (unknown firmware) - hangs sometimes (probably, it is connected with some blown capacitors on motherboard near memory - no time to check; no problem software was found).

>> In any case, mine and yours are both self-serving evaluations. The reason for this thread is to suggest a good decision on the basis of some self-serving opinions.

The need to reboot is directly related to the processor with increasing CPU temperature increases the number of errors, when the error rate is above a critical mass, the system drops out by itself or you reboot it, from software this efekt tion does not depend.

Although it must be said that the latest machines are quite reliable, but it seems that we are not talking about the latest ones.

I've been reading some AMD and Intel tests here. So AMD Phenom II 965 is ahead of the most powerful Intel i7 by most parameters. And it beat it in tests where purely mathematical calculations are used. Although there was one test where AMD simply tore Intel. That was game play. There AMD outperformed Intel by over 30%!!! At the same time the price tag of the most powerful AMD is the same as of an average Intel.

By the way 90% of supercomputers use AMD processors. Can you draw your own conclusions? ;о)

I have AMD+NCP myself.

you can have a couple of wagons + wagonloads of this without a lot of flooding!

there ... there ... AMD myself ... that's where you should have started .... check out the latest amd intel court cases check out the reports ....

and if you are sensitive to the topic of the forum you will make the right choice ;)

notice the different reviews (with so many large promoted resources) before the hardware is released...

and for sure in 09 you don't need to argue about it anymore .... as a lightweight home pc 5+ as a good rock -

amd up against the wall ! ;)

Intel's latest architecture, the Core i7, is essentially a vastly improved AMD architecture. 5 years ago this architecture allowed AMD to beat the Pentium 4 with slower technology and slower memory.

With the release of the Core 2, Intel has slightly overtaken AMD, and the Core i7 has widened the gap. The difference: 20-30% on some applications. But the price is also a bit steep.

Memory manufacturer is probably not very important, though Samsung and Hynix are primary suppliers (i.e. they do both chips and DIMM modules).

Basically, you need to look at what your motherboard was tested with. That's not to say that it won't work with other memory of the right type, just that there are sometimes problems with memory.

It is better if these problems are discovered by your computer manufacturer, not you.

What's important to get the best performance - it is advisable to use all memory controller channels supported by your brick or (for previous generations) the memory controller of your chipset.

For modern desktops (Core i7) it is usually 2 or 3, for workstations (Nehalem) it is 3. I.e. the number of occupied memory slots should be a multiple of the memory controller channels.

And of course the fastest memory that is supported by the brick/motherboard.

If the goal is not the highest performance, but price (with reasonable performance), you can think about AMD.

almost everything is made in micron factories so don't sweat it))

Intel's on top of it now.

BARS >> :

Dummies take what the vendors sell ))

And non-dummies, Intel, Corsair is the preferred operating system.

And it depends on the budget...

In my town, more often, for example, Operators put Hynix, Kingston and Samsung with NCP, (in descending order) Corsair and Patriots are rare.

P.s. will take cor (9650) and corsairs

Units of measure for performance of Intel® processors as per export requirements

Samovars take what BARS pointed out.

And those who screw around a little: look at performance/price and exactly where it will work.

My personal opinion and experience of buying computers for several companies:

1. Intel platform for both chipset and processor.

2. Memory at least two identical slabs so that 2 channels work.

Memory type only the last company insisted on Patriot.

May be it was me, but as many computers I have seen, all work stable and without any problems on Intel.

On AMD, there are always glitches coming out of nowhere.

I don't insist on my opinion, it's up to you to choose, but it's better to overpay and work than to save money and look for glitches.

WitoHOH >> :

I do not insist on my opinion, it is up to you to choose, but it is better to overpay and work than to save money and look for glitches.

Of course, no one is going to save on matches, but no one is going to overpay for nothing either.

Choosing better means more expensive

is not always justified, and at a price difference you can get the same thing just by overpaying for a sticker.

A brand, concerning an operative system and a mother board is important. For with the same components you get different products.

Both in quality of design (we are talking about motherboards), and (more importantly) in quality of assembly and quality of assembly equipment.

I.e. the number of occupied memory slots must be a multiple of the memory controller channels.

aha!

I wondered why they draw slots by pairs in different colours...

;)

With release of Core 2, Intel has slightly overtook AMD, and Core i7 has increased this gap. The difference: 20-30% on some applications. But the price also bites.

By the way! Are there any ways of "protection against sucker" when buying - so that instead of extreme they didn't sell me a usual one?

kombat >> :

By the way, are there any ways of "protecting you from a sucker" when you buy one, so you don't get a regular one instead of an extreme one?

Any hardware testing software will tell you what kind of stone it is. And not only.

Everest, CPU-Z, you name it.

Svinozavr >> :

Any hardware test program will tell you what kind of stone it is. And not only that.

Everest, CPU-Z, you name it.

I meant the Core i7, which is regular ~20k and extreme ~35k.

Reason: