Gentlemen, where should the money go? - page 9

Now that's for sure!

blend >> :

A 13-year-old schoolgirl in Scotland had to write an essay about her holiday. What she turned in was as follows: "My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we usd 2 go 2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 @ kds".

That's a bummer... But I've learned a new acronym - WYSIWYG - what you see is what you get.

In the original -- WUCIWUG, which is even scarier.

TheXpert >> :

That's a bummer... But I learned a new abbreviation - WYSIWYG - what you see is what you get.

In the original -- WUCIWUG, which is even scarier.

A very common term in IT (in relation to gui), e.g. MS FrontPage editor...

BARS >> :

A simple example: We can say: Pri, hello, salute... and they just hello and hi.

IMHO I think we have more nuances than they do.

You're the one who only knows 'hello and hi', not them. Especially cool, of course, is the purely Russian word 'salute'. They certainly don't know it.

You have to know both languages perfectly to count the nuances in languages. The everyday speech of ordinary English speakers has far more epithets and allegories, connotations if you will, than that of Russian speakers.

Your IMHO has no basis whatsoever on this or any other subject - just a set of clichés from the zombie TV.

timbo >> :

>> ...a set of stamps from the zombie TV.

Without trying to shake your harsh conviction in my opinion, I would venture to point out that I have repeatedly noticed that my friends who have gone abroad

I have repeatedly noticed a serious simplification of vocabulary and a reduction of vocabulary. And in both languages. They may have a lot of things in their dictionaries.

But in real life they use the standard vocabulary we know from action movies.

One example is enough, you don't have to go far.

I have tried many translators (software). They all translate Russian into English times worse! We can still understand them, but they can't. I took both our translators and theirs, ours are heavier, so they don't translate properly :)

P.s. I asked a girl (who is English ...) how she learns our language, and she said that ours is very difficult, she knows German perfectly, French is ok (enough to talk about this and that ...), but ours is difficult to learn.

granit77 писал(а) >>

Without trying to shake your harsh conviction in my opinion, I would venture to point out that I have repeatedly noticed a serious simplification of vocabulary amongst friends who have gone abroad.

I have repeatedly noticed a serious simplification of vocabulary and a reduction in vocabulary. And in both languages. They may have a lot of things in their dictionaries.

in the dictionaries, but in real life they use the standard set we know from action movies.

Actually, we were talking about native speakers, not immigrants. And they have their own problems.

I mean, that fact doesn't really fit in here. Let's discuss the richness and colours of Russian as spoken by the Chinese from Cherkizovsky market.

BARS писал(а) >>

One example is enough, you don't have to go far.

I have tried many translators (software). They all translate Russian into English times worse! We can still understand them, but they can't. I took both our translators and their translators, ours are heavier, so they don't translate normal :)

P.s. I asked a girl (who is English ...) how she learns our language, and she said that ours is very difficult, she knows German perfectly, French is ok (enough to talk about this and that ...), but ours is difficult to learn.

"There's an elderberry in a field and an uncle in Kiev".
What does that say? Only that English, German and French are related, so it was easy for her to learn them.
You started with the number of shades in the language and now you're talking about the difficulty of learning it. Chinese is even harder to learn - one word pronounced with different intonations can have up to 6 different meanings, but that doesn't guarantee that the Chinese use more nuances in conversation or that their language isn't "dry".
The problems with translators are only problems with translators, they are in no way an example of how native speakers speak (or don't speak).

timbo >> :

"There's a mother tree in a garden, but it's an uncle in Kiev".
What does that say? Only that English, German and French are kindred languages, so it was easy for her to learn them personally.
You started with the number of shades in the language and now you're talking about the difficulty of learning it. Chinese is even harder to learn - one word pronounced with different intonations can have up to 6 different meanings, but that doesn't guarantee that the Chinese use more nuances in conversation or that their language isn't "dry".
Problems with translators are only problems with translators, they can in no way be an example of how native speakers speak (or don't speak).

I won't talk about Chinese at all!

They may have one symbol for one language and a different one for another.

Why is it difficult to learn? If there are more nuances in the language, it's harder to learn. If there are fewer nuances in the language, it's easier to learn. If we had a long multiplication table... I'd see how we'd learn if it had all the examples, not just the ones ending in 9.

English and German are similar, yes. But French is nothing like them ;-)

The problem with the translator simply shows that when translating Russian it's harder for Amercians to understand us than it is for us to understand them.

"An interpreter is like a diplomat, he will always pull the blanket under his own feet" (c).

BARS писал(а) >>

I won't talk about Chinese at all!

They can have one symbol in one ruling and another symbol in another ruling that means something else.

>> That's right! And please don't talk about English either.
You're talking nonsense. There is no Chinese language, there is Cantonese and Mandarin - two different languages. They don't understand each other. But they have the same script - the writing is equally understood by everyone. So you messed up with the symbols as well.
How many foreign languages do you know, to discuss the difficulties of their study? Or did Rabinovich tell you?

"Let's discuss the taste of oysters with those who've tasted them."

Reason: