Discussion of article "Using Self-Organizing Feature Maps (Kohonen Maps) in MetaTrader 5"

New article Using Self-Organizing Feature Maps (Kohonen Maps) in MetaTrader 5 is published:

One of the most interesting aspects of Self-Organizing Feature Maps (Kohonen maps) is that they learn to classify data without supervision. In its basic form it produces a similarity map of input data (clustering). The SOM maps can be used for classification and visualizing of high-dimensional data. In this article we will consider several simple applications of Kohonen maps.

Author: MetaQuotes

Excellent article! Thank you a lot!

/tsaktuo 

On Windows 7 64 bit don't work.
Files:
Untitled1.jpg  246 kb

The reason of this error is User Access Control on Windows Vista, Windows 7.

Please change

aFromFileName=TerminalInfoString(TERMINAL_PATH)+"\\MQL5\\Files\\"+CheckExtension(aFromFileName);
aToFileName=TerminalInfoString(TERMINAL_PATH)+"\\MQL5\\Images\\"+CheckExtension(aToFileName);

to

aFromFileName=TerminalInfoString(TERMINAL_DATA_PATH)+"\\MQL5\\Files\\"+CheckExtension(aFromFileName);
aToFileName=TerminalInfoString(TERMINAL_DATA_PATH)+"\\MQL5\\Images\\"+CheckExtension(aToFileName);

in file "cIntBMP.mqh".

We will fix it in article. 

We will fix it in article.
Fixed.

Hi!

Thanks for this article.

Q: is it possible to do RPCL implemention also? (Xinyu Guo has some great publication...)

I notice the pattern is practically defined after awhile but the iteration is fixed at 10000 so it still continues to run until 10000.

Is it possible for the algorithm to detect and stop the iteration when the pattern is more or less defined? 

I downloaded found these garbage characters ("?,"?,...) at the end of the definition and encountered compilation errors with cintbmp.h:

string CA[]={"!","\"","#","$","%","&","'","(",")","*","+",",","-",".","/","0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9",":",";","<","=",">","?","@","A","B","C","D","E","F","G","H","I","J","K","L","M","N","O","P","Q","R","S","T","U","V","W","X","Y","Z","[","file://%22,%22]%22,%22%5e%22,%22_%22,%22%60%22,%22a%22,%22b%22,%22c%22,%22d%22,%22e%22,%22f%22,%22g%22,%22h%22,%22i%22,%22j%22,%22k%22,%22l%22,%22m%22,%22n%22,%22o%22,%22p%22,%22q%22,%22r%22,%22s%22,%22t%22,%22u%22,%22v%22,%22w%22,%22x%22,%22y%22,%22z/

"j","k","l","m","n","o","p","q","r","s","t","u","v","w","x","y","z","{","|","}","~","","€","?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,"?,""};

but if i open with MT4 editor, I can see the characters.  Any idea how to fix it?

Try this version (saved as Unicode).
Files:
cIntBMP.mqh  79 kb

Is the following a bug?  If the 1st element is max or min, it is never included in the range calculation resulting in wrong classification:

void CSOM::Train(bool bShowProgress) // training method
  {

for(int j=0; j<m_dimension; j++)
     {
      double maxv=m_set[m_dimension+j]; // should this be double maxv=m_set[m_dimension*j];
      double minv=m_set[m_dimension+j]; // should this be double minv=m_set[m_dimension*j];

Does this article include everything to get a expert advisor?

Im interested in implementing Neural Network Expert Advisor.

Reason: