Daily timeframe backtest doesn't work

Hi, there.

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your help.

I want to comment about what is happening to the Metatrader 5 backtester. I have to point out that it happens, not only to my EA but also to the built-in EAs that come with Metatrader.

The problem is, I can backtest minutes and hours, but when I try to backtest from 8H on, it gives empty results. I want to backtest the daily timeframe and it shows 0 benefits and an horizontal graph, but it shows the quality of the data and the number of backtested bars. There are no errors and don't understand what is really happening here.

Do you know any solution?

Thanks so much.

metandres4: First of all, I'd like to thank you for your help. I want to comment about what is happening to the Metatrader 5 backtester. I have to point out that it happens, not only to my EA but also to the built-in EAs that come with Metatrader. The problem is, I can backtest minutes and hours, but when I try to backtest from 8H on, it gives empty results. I want to backtest the daily timeframe and it shows 0 benefits and an horizontal graph, but it shows the quality of the data and the number of backtested bars. There are no errors and don't understand what is really happening here. Do you know any solution?

You did not provide enough information — which example EA's, what symbols, what are trading times for the symbol, what kind of test open bar or ticks, etc.

I will assume the following which usually causes that kind of behaviour:

• You are testing with open prices and your symbol's trading times prevent trading at the beginning of the day or the trading time is equal to or shorter than 8 hours.

Fernando Carreiro #:

You did not provide enough information — which example EA's, what symbols, what are trading times for the symbol, what kind of test open bar or ticks, etc.

• You are testing with open prices and your symbol's trading times prevent trading at the beginning of the day or the trading time is equal to or shorter than 8 hours.
Hi, there! Thanks for your fast response.

I'm trading AAPL, trading time: 16:31-23:00. I've tried to test it with open prices and all ticks. Nothing works.
Regarding the EAs, I've tried the examples that come with MT5: ExpertMACD, ExpertMAMA, ExpertMAPSAR, ExpertMAPSARSizeOptimized. None of them work either. The max. period is 6H.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Don't worry, it's fine. I was testing it in my live account and I didn't realise about it. My live account doesn't start tests, as demo does.
Thanks so much, indeed. ;)

metandres4 #: I'm trading AAPL, trading time: 16:31-23:00. I've tried to test it with open prices and all ticks. Nothing works. Regarding the EAs, I've tried the examples that come with MT5: ExpertMACD, ExpertMAMA, ExpertMAPSAR, ExpertMAPSARSizeOptimized. None of them work either. The max. period is 6H.

Just as I suspected: 23:00 - 16:31 = 7:29 (it is less that 8 hours). Meaning that open prices or even with ticks where EA trades are only placed at the start of the bar, then there will be no trades for time-frames H8 and above.

metandres4 #: Don't worry, it's fine. I was testing it in my live account and I didn't realise about it. My live account doesn't start tests, as demo does.Thanks so much, indeed. ;)

Live or demo, makes no difference. It's the symbol's contract details and trade times that sets the conditions for the tests.

Reason: