open object popup window blocks EA orders - page 2

Sylvain Vervoort #:

You are day trading and you opened a drawing object that is waiting for an input and, now you get a phone call that takes all your attention.

Orders from you EA are not executed. 

That may be very bad...

yes i understand the scenario, but i dont have an ea that opens trades upon hitting a trend line to test it for you.

I tried it with the example 'moving average' EA that comes with MT4.

If you use that EA or any EA to trade and keep an object open in editing mode you should see the same behavior. Opening a trade by the EA will only happen after the object window is closed. Meaning the object stays in command as long as the object editing popup window is not closed.

Sylvain Vervoort #:

I tried it with the example 'moving average' EA that comes with MT4.

wow. good to know. i will remember not to modify any objects while my trading eas are raking it in.

I have investigated this.
I coded a very simple EA and loaded it on a chart.

I drew a trendline and opened the object properties window and the EA continued to take trades. so absolutely no problem with editing an object while the EA is running.

I investigated further because my simple EA didn't work with any objects. So I modified the code.

What I discovered is that any code that works with objects will not be executed while any object properties window is open. It does not have to be the object that the EA is working with or even the same type. It can be ANY object.

When the EA hits the code that works with the object, the EA will come to a complete halt if an object properties window is open. There will be no new ticks processed, it will just stop dead.

When the properties window is closed, the EA continues from where it left off (but of course it will have missed a number of ticks).

Thanks for investigating.

As a matter of fact I use trendline breaks in my EA to open or close trades or,
a trendline above or below price with the properties window open,
waiting to close the window for placing the trade.

However if in the meantime there is an open or close signal from another auto EA signal, 
the trade is not executed that moment in time.

My opinion a buy/sell from the EA should always be executed...

Is it possible to report this to MetaTrader?

Thanks,

Sylvain

Reason: