Would anyone in here trust the MT4 strategy tester?

For a long-term investment purposes and with a profit factor of 2. in M1, with 120 operations during one year. EURUSD only. Time from 2am to 9pm (Helsinki time). Yes or no? Thanks a lot...

depends on the historical data that you are using. I have proven my trades on live account and then on strategy tester are over 95% the same in any period, however, I do not trust any of the statistics in the reports regarding drawdown and equity. I have to run the new ea on demo with an indicator that shows my equity in realtime, for few months before I can trust any new ea. They equity/DrawDown statistics are NEVER anywhere the same as what says in strategy tester.

With any other broker, I wouldnt trust strategy tester results until I was able to modify my tick data and compare with live trading on that new broker. If the trades are over 90% the same between live trades and backtest trades, then, I would trust that broker and backtest too.

"The equity/DrawDown statistics are NEVER anywhere the same"...

By this, I mean that in strategy tester, a typical example would be that in strategy tester drawdown statistic will say 5 - 15%, which is very good, right? but when running an equity indicator during that same date period, my floating P/L will be constantly, over 40 - 60% negative value of P/L/(Account Balance). That is VERY BAD. and a major inconsistency.

But thats not to say that strategy tester can not be used during testing of a new ea or a new strategy. You just have to be acutely aware that it is just 1 cog in the testing process... By that I mean that testing in strategy tester is still good to use for many reasons, including to test your code. And there is still a lot of numbers in the report that are still good to trust, such as the profit factor and number of trades etc etc...

I would say the tester is for testing an EA/ indicator whatever…. NOT for evaluating the EA… tester is just to make sure that EA is doing what it is designed to do

Daniel Cioca #:
I would say the tester is for testing an EA/ indicator whatever…. NOT for evaluating the EA… tester is just to make sure that EA is doing what it is designed to do

if that was true, then  it would not be called a backtest. However, I would agree that using strategy tester is not good for testing to find worst drawdowns. Which is the main reason that we want to do a backtest, right? But even without that statistic, the backtest report shows many other numbers in the report that ARE accurate and essential to know, AND that are very hard to get from any other testing method.

Revo Trades #:

if that was true, then  it would not be called a backtest. However, I would agree that using strategy tester is not good for testing to find worst drawdowns. Which is the main reason that we want to do a backtest, right? But even without that statistic, the backtest report shows many other numbers in the report that ARE accurate and essential to know, AND that are very hard to get from any other testing method.

As I said… backtesting is for testing if your EA does what you designed it to do… and give you a rough idea about profit/drawbacks… but the real test is forward testing… you should forward test it before you use it on your own money or others… forward testing will reveal things that will not show up on tester… for example if your EA runs in dayli timeframe… and in new candle only … you will see that market is opening on 00:02… not on 00:00… like on tester… 😊… anyway … forward testing is for evaluation of your design and yourself also… are you going to let your EA to handle 1000 usd profit? Like you should? Or are you going to close orders being afraid that market will take it back… 😁…. Cheers…. And good luck… just don’t thrust backrest… forward test it for 6 months…
During this forward testing you will do a lot of modifications … 

Daniel Cioca #:

so your answer to the ops' question is no, for a short answer? haha. but i agree completely. all good points, however, if strategy tester was not for backtesting, then the backtesting would not be called that :) You should not tell users that it is not for backtesting when that is eactly what it is made for, no matter how badly it fails to do that. I use it for 90% of just ea testing, and not for backtesting, however, that is only due to past experience, but it is still a backtest, because that is what it is for. a spork is still a fork no matter how much it fails to do its original task :)

Forget about BackTesting == live result . 
It’s just a tool to check 90% of bugs. 

The longer the time-frame is the better results it will have in tester.

Revo Trades #:

I have been testing for drawdowns and I agree that using strategy tester is not good for testing to find worst drawdowns. Have you found and other better methods or tools to do this?

from my observations the MT4 strategy tester is weak, It works fine on relatively simple EA's but when the logic is complicated enough to involve different timeframes and multiple symbols at the same time, The MT4 tester won't do a good job, by the way, I no longer use the MT4 platform for anything... I deleted the old platform a long time ago
Reason: