Passwords

I just trade using MT4 and MT5 manually and with EA's, I don't offer any code that I have written on here.

So, to activate an account I download MT4 or 5 and enter credentials, (only one password). Now I want to change the password but find that there are two, a master password and an investor password. I cannot find any documentation that explains the difference, both are mentioned but what each is for is never made clear.

I don't want to change something as important as a password without knowing what I am doing, could someone clarify please?

Thanks

Dave

Hmm?

Just press F1 in the terminal enter investor in the search line, press enter and read: 

Connect to an Account

Logging in using the master password gives full rights for working with the account. Investor authorization allows you to see the account status, analyze prices, and work with your own Expert Advisors, but not trade. The Investor access is a convenient tool for demonstrating the trading process on the account.

Documentation on MQL5: MQL5 programs / Trade Permission
Documentation on MQL5: MQL5 programs / Trade Permission
  • www.mql5.com
Trade Permission - MQL5 programs - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

Thanks for your reply.

So presumably I entered a master password when I established the connection? There is nothing to explicitly say so. The change password dialog offers to change either. The investor password seems pointless so obviously there can arise circumstances that I am unaware of.

You can login to your account using both the passwords.

If you login using your master password, you can full access including the ability to perform trade.

If you login using your investor password, you can VIEW everything but possibly can not change anything which means you can not place any trades or modify any existing trades. 

There can be multiple scenario where this is useful.

consider a situation, where you have the money to trade, but you do not know how to trade. 

So you deposit money in your account and hire a trader to trade in your account on your behalf. 

The trader will login using master password, where as the investor should login using only investor password, just to view whats going on in the account. He should not even accidentally change the trades to ensure nothing is changed in what the trade is doing.

there can be yet another scenario where suppose you a re a broker. and you find an investor who wants to invest. 

Investors sends you money in some bank account or something like that.

Since you are a broker, you can open a trading account in MT4/MT5. You will deposit the money sent by your investor in that trading account.

You keep the master password with you since you will be performing trade operations in that account. 

You will give the investor password to your investor. Investor can anytime login to his account to view the current trades and trade history etc. But he can not performa any trade operations.

Reason: