Why results are different from mt4 to mt5

Hi all,

I've been using mt4 to run back testing on EA's for a while now.  I download the meta quotes data to get history back to 1999, and use all of it (my algo's use open prices only).  If MT5 also uses the same metaquotes data, then why are the results different from broker to broker?

To put in context, typically a broker will save a small amount of their data to use in testing, but once you go back more than a month or two, it's all metaquotes and should be the same from my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, why the hell doesn't any mt5 broker account for daylight savings.  I've tried 3 of them including a download straight from mq5.com, all the same timezone like russia or something, not GMT+2.

I've configured the EA's so that they should be running identically in both mt4 and mt5.

Thanks in advance!

The data is not same.
Because the charts, the price on the charts (data) and the time of the price on the charts are related to the brokers only.

Yes, there are some EAs which are having same performance with almost every broker, but those EA were coded especially for this case.
And any other EAs should perform differently from one broker to an other one.

Sergey Golubev #:
The data is not same.
Because the charts, the price on the charts (data) and the time of the price on the charts are related to the brokers only.

Yes, there are some EAs which are having same performance with almost every broker, but those EA were coded especially for this case.
And any other EAs should perform differently from one broker to an other one.

Sergey,

Thank you for the reply.  So I understand that all broker data is different, but to my knowledge the broker isnt using there own data from 20+ years ago.  This would be from metaquotes, therefore it should be the same right?

jaderogwin #:

Sergey,

Thank you for the reply.  So I understand that all broker data is different, but to my knowledge the broker isnt using there own data from 20+ years ago.  This would be from metaquotes, therefore it should be the same right?

It should not be same (especially for MT5, because the data of MT5 is not from MetaQuotes).

There are some ways about how to detect "scam" ("forex scam"; and this is very old story).
- one person told: "my EA is profitable for MT4 - look at my backtesting result."
- we can ask: "Which broker?"
- if he reply as "every broker" so it is most probably - "scam".

Next situation:
- "my EA is profitable because I backtested it on MT4 with good modelling quality"
- most probably - "scam" (because backtesting and real trading should not be the same in most of the cases for MT4 within one broker).

Other situation.
- If someone told that "My EA is profitable for broker A during the period of testing because I backtested it with "every tick based on real tick" mode in MT5".
- So, we can trust this result and this person (because it will be same as with real trading for the broker A for example).

Reason: