Possible Bug - Custom Symbols

Hi,

I have found 3 issues when using Forex based custom symbols (Synthetic instruments).  

1. After platform is closed and opened some time later, the custom symbol appears to be missing data and does not re-calculate.  The only way I have found to solve this is to create a new custom symbol under a different name (see "AUD missing data" attached).

2. Sometimes the symbol will give erratic calculations making the chart unreadable (see "CAD bad calc" example attached).  Sometimes restarting the platform will solve, but often I have to create a new custom symbol.

3. Difficult to re-create, but I sometimes I have found a custom symbol will copy the title and calculation from another custom symbol.  The only way to solve this issue is to delete them both and start again.

If this is something I am doing (or not doing) please point this out to me.  I would really like to use these in automated strategies, but at the moment they are not reliable enough to trust the signals.

Many thanks, Ian

Notes

a) I am using Ver 5.00 Build 2981

b) I have attached the custom calcs I am using and some pictures to demonstrate the issues.  

Creating and testing custom symbols in MetaTrader 5
Creating and testing custom symbols in MetaTrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
Creating custom symbols pushes the boundaries in the development of trading systems and financial market analysis. Now traders are able to plot charts and test trading strategies on an unlimited number of financial instruments.

Ian Thomson:

Hi,

I have found 3 issues when using Forex based custom symbols (Synthetic instruments).  

1. After platform is closed and opened some time later, the custom symbol appears to be missing data and does not re-calculate.  The only way I have found to solve this is to create a new custom symbol under a different name (see "AUD missing data" attached).

2. Sometimes the symbol will give erratic calculations making the chart unreadable (see "CAD bad calc" example attached).  Sometimes restarting the platform will solve, but often I have to create a new custom symbol.

3. Difficult to re-create, but I sometimes I have found a custom symbol will copy the title and calculation from another custom symbol.  The only way to solve this issue is to delete them both and start again.

If this is something I am doing (or not doing) please point this out to me.  I would really like to use these in automated strategies, but at the moment they are not reliable enough to trust the signals.

Many thanks, Ian

Notes

a) I am using Ver 5.00 Build 2981

b) I have attached the custom calcs I am using and some pictures to demonstrate the issues.  

We have no idea what you are doing exactly so not sure how you hope someone will help.

You would need to provide a way to reproduce your issue(s). So we can check and confirm or not it's a bug or something on your side.

Thanks Alain,

I have since read that Custom symbols don't keep their history if the terminal is shut down and don't recalculate with new data.  Therefore 1. above is not a bug although definitely not ideal.

2 & 3 above I think are a bug and seem to be related to the same issue.  I have tried different broker platforms and an older terminal that had not updated, same issue.  Here is how to recreate it:

a) Set up Custom symbols for the 8 main currencies.  I called them AUDx, CADx, CHFx etc. I have tried using 8 different pair currencies as the base, but I don't think it matters as long as they have unique names.   I have attached the json files for ones I have created.  

b) Set up each one with synthetic formulas.  The formulas I have used can be copied and pasted from the top of the attached Excel file.  The formula makes no difference to this issue, I have tried many.

b)  Create a Profile with the 8 Custom currencies and monitor.  Try putting an indicator or two on the chart, although not sure if that makes any difference to the issue.

c) Switch between profiles and close/open the terminal.  After a while (can be a few hours or sometimes days), you will see:

• The chart shows erratic data (as I mentioned in bug 2 above). 
  • The affected custom symbol will have copied the formula from another Custom symbol.  They also copy over the "Symbol" name (in the Custom Symbol dialogue).  
  • The chart behavior seems to be caused by the Custom symbol recording the original symbol data then a completely different value when the symbols swap.

Thanks, Ian

Files:
Reason: