EA / Strategy Tester data : M1 historical data from IG lost on the FRA40. HELP!

Hello,

Following an OS reinstallation and a failed backup, I lost the M1 history on the FRA40 that I had in MT4 from IG-LIVE and IG-DEMO servers.

I had a full history recorded locally since 2017 but now I only have a ridiculous depth until 2021.07.01, which is totally insufficient to use the Strategy Tester in a serious way to test an EA.

Unfortunately, IG does not allow these customers to download this history in order to reconstruct it locally for MT4. After contacting tech support, they told me they couldn't do anything for me and invited me to get this data from a third-party vendor.
My problem is that the data found with other suppliers does not include the IG "off-market" quotation ranges from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. (local time) and is therefore not suitable as a substitute for IG data ( 24/24 quotation).

Does anyone have a history of the FRA40 24/24 in M1 (1 minute) to help me out? Otherwise, do you know from which data provider I could find what I'm looking for?

Thank you to those who will answer me.

William Roeder:
YouTube/watch?v=l7-6m2cE6JM
Thanks but I prefer the Stones! Of course, if you had a slightly more constructive answer to offer me, I would be ready to listen to The Beatles, even through a parody.

ydrean:
Thanks but I prefer the Stones! Of course, if you had a slightly more constructive answer to offer me, of course, I would be ready to listen to The Beatles, even through a parody.

Only Jesus saves, we [normal people] have to do Backups ;) 

Sorry to tell the truth, but.. There is no way to go back to "Yesterday" unless we have at least 3 or more backups of important data. 

Do you have any other machine, on your local network, that was once used by the Strategy Tester? (by sharing processor to speed up the strategy tester?)

If you do, that machine may have a copy of that history on its HDD. 

rrocchi:

Only Jesus saves, we [normal people] have to do Backups ;) 

Sorry to tell the truth, but.. There is no way to go back to "Yesterday" unless we have at least 3 or more backups of important data. 

Do you have any other machine, on your local network, that was once used by the Strategy Tester? (by sharing processor to speed up the strategy tester?)

If you do, that machine may have a copy of that history on its HDD. 

Hello rrocchi,

In fact, I had no idea that the histories were saved locally by MT4 and foolishly thought they were downloaded from the IG server when needed.

I run MT4 on Parallels virtual machines under MacOS and my backups are provided by the Time Machine. Unfortunately, the Time Machine was configured not to back up virtual machines.

I regularly backed up MT4 directories which seemed sensitive to me (see screenshot below for illustration) but, unaware that they could not be reconstituted via the data of the servers, the histories were not part of them!

In fact, I am no longer looking for a "solution" to find this data from my machines (I think I have already tried everything) but to obtain it via a third-party source: either a data supplier, or (it would be ideal ) another user working on the FRA40 with IG and who would have this data as I had it myself before this unfortunate accident.

Anyway, thank you for your response. But I'm starting to believe that my cause is hopeless ...

Have you tried this trick? https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/124619#comment_3253773

It might work (or might not). Try it! Maybe you will get lucky!

Problem loading historical data
Problem loading historical data
  • www.mql5.com
Hello, I have some issues loading historical data. I want to test an expert advisor for which I need lots of 1Min Historical data. 1...

Fernando Carreiro:

Have you tried this trick? https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/124619#comment_3253773

It might work (or might not). Try it! Maybe you will get lucky!

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, before posting my call for help I did some research on the forum and I especially came across this method (trick) but it did not produce anything with IG servers (IG-LIVE and IG-DEMO).

I might have better luck with third-party servers but I would have to find brookers that rate FRA40 24/24 as IG... and I didn't find any!

I'm afraid my only hope is to find someone who has the FRA40 data locally under MT4 and who agrees to share it with me ... but I'm starting to wonder if I was the only one with it!

ydrean:
Hello rrocchi,

In fact, I had no idea that the histories were saved locally by MT4 and foolishly thought they were downloaded from the IG server when needed.

I run MT4 on Parallels virtual machines under MacOS and my backups are provided by the Time Machine. Unfortunately, the Time Machine was configured not to back up virtual machines.

I regularly backed up MT4 directories which seemed sensitive to me (see screenshot below for illustration) but, unaware that they could not be reconstituted via the data of the servers, the histories were not part of them!

In fact, I am no longer looking for a "solution" to find this data from my machines (I think I have already tried everything) but to obtain it via a third-party source: either a data supplier, or (it would be ideal ) another user working on the FRA40 with IG and who would have this data as I had it myself before this unfortunate accident.

Anyway, thank you for your response. But I'm starting to believe that my cause is hopeless ...

I also use Metatrader on Parallels, and I don't make Timemachines backups of the WindowsVM.. just MacOS full backups, excluding the VM.

But every weekend, I copy the VM file manually to an external HD, and I keep 5 older copies of it there.

The reason is that Time Machines backups for Parallels works strange, I suppose most users disable backups for the Parallels VM

But being disabled, its very easy to manually backup the complete VM as it is just 1 directory package, so just coping the VM package to another partition, or external HD, guarantees it in case of problems.. just put the old package back and Parallels will boot it, and it will be exactely as the day you copied it externally.. including all files, etc.. 

It is a good and easy routine for you to do from now to future, to copy manualy the VM package every weekend. 

I started to do it, since I lost my Parallels VM 4 years ago when I tried to use a pirated parallels newer version, and it messed up my VM package, which never more booted again.. Made me lost lots of source code since I was starting to learn how to delelop on MQL4 (4 years ago).. 

Since then, no pirated parallels anymore, and just in case, I began to make backups of the VM file. As an aditional guarantee. 

I whish you good luck on solving your situation. If there was any other way for me to help you, be sure I would be helping. 

ydrean:
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, before posting my call for help I did some research on the forum and I especially came across this method (trick) but it did not produce anything with IG servers (IG-LIVE and IG-DEMO).

I might have better luck with third-party servers but I would have to find brookers that rate FRA40 24/24 as IG... and I didn't find any!

I'm afraid my only hope is to find someone who has the FRA40 data locally under MT4 and who agrees to share it with me ... but I'm starting to wonder if I was the only one with it!

I will take a look at my servers on my localnetwork. Sometimes I activated them to sell processing to the MQL Cloud.. 

And for testing on the cloud, Strategy tester transfer to my servers the full history which is being tested by the EA of someone arround the world which is using my machines processors.. 

I dont delete any history since the HDD is huge.. and history from several brokers exists there. (it keeps an organized directory structure [broker -> symbo' -> date ->history files)

I will take a look on them, (it is a total of 6 servers), to check if one of them contains history from IG-LIVE or IG-DEMO, and for which symbols they may exist.

PS: if you manage to know someone who has being selling processing for the MQL Cloud for a long time, there is a high probability that they may have the history you need. As long as the owner don't delete history by routine. Everyone who sells processing to the cloud are the most close people to have the luck of having those histories files

rrocchi:

I will take a look at my servers on my localnetwork. Sometimes I activated them to sell processing to the MQL Cloud.. 

And for testing on the cloud, Strategy tester transfer to my servers the full history which is being tested by the EA of someone arround the world which is using my machines processors.. 

I dont delete any history since the HDD is huge.. and history from several brokers exists there. (it keeps an organized directory structure [broker -> symbo' -> date ->history files)

I will take a look on them, (it is a total of 6 servers), to check if one of them contains history from IG-LIVE or IG-DEMO, and for which symbols they may exist.

PS: if you manage to know someone who has being selling processing for the MQL Cloud for a long time, there is a high probability that they may have the history you need. As long as the owner don't delete history by routine. Everyone who sells processing to the cloud are the most close people to have the luck of having those histories files

That's really nice. Even if your research were to fail, I really appreciate you giving it a try and spending some time on it.

For my part, it is certain, this experience will lead me to back up the VMs on a regular basis, probably weekly.

Anyway, I am very surprised that brookers do not keep more history in M1, or even in ticks. In fact, I suspect they are doing it for themselves, if only for legal reasons, but are unwilling to communicate them to their clients (for the same reasons). For the implementation of more or less reliable backtests, this is a real handicap!