MT4 consuming very high CPU/power usage

I have been having series of issues with my MT4 application. I downloaded platform from the broker and loaded indicators into them and other files/templates. But as time went on it started to slow my PC resulting into sometimes freezing my PC when there tends to be a little volatility in the market which would keep me away for a long time or restart my PC. I have cleaned up my PC (scanned for viruses and malware and saved up some over 15G of storage space using AVG Antivirus). ( I have a 12G RAM /250SSD installed on my laptop so i believe i shouldnt have a problem). Also contacted Microsoft who have also helped me to update my windows 10 software with lots of improvement and my laptop almost looking like brand new. But I still see CPU usage by my MT4 app as very high. It has limited my trading abilities as sometimes i just have to open/upload one chart at a time to save my laptop from hanging or crashing. usually in the past i can open as much as 10 charts at once and still not have this issue. 

Recently, i started having issues of custom indicators not loading onto charts even when they are present in the indicators' folders. sometimes I refresh, i see some on charts and after a while it disappears. I used to create new custom indicators using the MetaEditor and indicator appears on chart instantly. But now sometimes lucky ill have to download first into my laptop c drive before copying and pasting it on the MT4 indicators' data folder to have it on chart when it doesnt showup via MetaEditor.

So please i need help to find out what exactly is the problem. Let me know of what information i can provide to help sort this problem once and for all. Thanks

Files:
mt4_CPU_1.jpg  13 kb
Mt4_cpu2.jpg  14 kb

PipiBrasci:

I have been having series of issues with my MT4 application. I downloaded platform from the broker and loaded indicators into them and other files/templates. But as time went on it started to slow my PC resulting into sometimes freezing my PC when there tends to be a little volatility in the market which would keep me away for a long time or restart my PC. I have cleaned up my PC (scanned for viruses and malware and saved up some over 15G of storage space using AVG Antivirus). ( I have a 12G RAM /250SSD installed on my laptop so i believe i shouldnt have a problem). Also contacted Microsoft who have also helped me to update my windows 10 software with lots of improvement and my laptop almost looking like brand new. But I still see CPU usage by my MT4 app as very high. It has limited my trading abilities as sometimes i just have to open/upload one chart at a time to save my laptop from hanging or crashing. usually in the past i can open as much as 10 charts at once and still not have this issue. 

Recently, i started having issues of custom indicators not loading onto charts even when they are present in the indicators' folders. sometimes I refresh, i see some on charts and after a while it disappears. I used to create new custom indicators using the MetaEditor and indicator appears on chart instantly. But now sometimes lucky ill have to download first into my laptop c drive before copying and pasting it on the MT4 indicators' data folder to have it on chart when it doesnt showup via MetaEditor.

So please i need help to find out what exactly is the problem. Let me know of what information i can provide to help sort this problem once and for all. Thanks

Probably one or more of the indicators you are using is inefficient and/or badly coded and consuming too much CPU and RAM.

Start with a completely clean slate with completely empty charts and check each indicator one by one to see which one is consuming the most CPU.

If you are using Multi-currency or Multi-time-frame Indicators, they are usually the ones that are least efficient.

Also, clean out log files to release disk space.

Fernando Carreiro:

Probably one or more of the indicators you are using is inefficient and/or badly coded and consuming too much CPU and RAM.

Start with a completely clean slate with completely empty charts and check each indicator one by one to see which one is consuming the most CPU.

If you are using Multi-currency or Multi-time-frame Indicators, they are usually the ones that are least efficient.

Also, clean out log files to release disk space.

Thanks Fernando for coming to my aid. I had started with deleting and re-installing the platform again before i read your response because i wasnt sure what indicator could actually be draining my pc or if it was another problem. Wow, ofcourse i have a couple of these multi currency/timeframe indicators as mentioned. Ill have to go through the pain of doing that by sorting them out one by one but thats the only solution i guess. Many thanks for the the info. its first hand recommendation, from experience i guess. I ll have to try and sort them asap. 

Gracias.

You are welcome!

PipiBrasci: But as time went on it started to slow my PC re
  1. I have (MT4) 60+ charts with nine (9) indicators (including one MTF) open on my (4 core) laptop, averaging 15% CPU, 109 MB RAM, 10 MB/s disk. 2020.06.19

2. It is likely, what Fernando said, a badly coded indicator. Reduce Tools → Options (control+O) → Charts → Max bars in chart to something reasonable (like 1K.)

William Roeder:
  1. I have (MT4) 60+ charts with nine (9) indicators (including one MTF) open on my (4 core) laptop, averaging 15% CPU, 109 MB RAM, 10 MB/s disk. 2020.06.19

2. It is likely, what Fernando said, a badly coded indicator. Reduce Tools → Options (control+O) → Charts → Max bars in chart to something reasonable (like 1K.)

William Roeder:

Ok. Another helpful one. Thanks.

Reason: