Switch command syntax?

Sorry being so fool, but I cannot find switch command syntax in https://www.mql5.com/en/docs. When I write code

ENUM_TIMEFRAMES SetPeriodName (string period){
  switch(period)
     {
      case "M1"     : return(PERIOD_M1);
      case "M2"     : return(PERIOD_M2);

case "Daily"  : return(PERIOD_D1);
      case "Weekly" : return(PERIOD_W1);
      case "Monthly": return(PERIOD_MN1);
      default  : Print("  cannot set period")
      }

}

compiler shows error 'period' illegal switch expression type

I don't belive my eyes. Is it indeed restricted using string variables in switch cases or is it something else? I want to convert string values to corresponding timeframe values.

MQL5 Reference - How to use algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5
MQL5 Reference - How to use algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
MetaQuotes Language 5 (MQL5) Reference - Documentation on MQL5.com

Really I have found way to go around that problem but it is still interesting why switch don't eat string variables.

This link will show you the switch syntax : https://www.mql5.com/en/docs/basis/operators/switch, I think your problem is :

Switch Operator

Compares the expression value with constants in all the case variants and passes control to the operator that corresponds to the expression value. Each variant of case can be marked with an integer constant, a literal constant or a constant expression. The constant expression can't contain variables or function calls. Expression of the switch operator must be of integer type. 

You can't use string type for switch operator.

Documentation on MQL5: Language Basics / Operators / Switch Operator
Documentation on MQL5: Language Basics / Operators / Switch Operator
  • www.mql5.com
Language Basics / Operators / Switch Operator - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

You can use "if" instead of "switch"

As said above, switch expression must be integer. (kind of strange that the example uses string). Just use ifs

Filter:
As said above, switch expression must be integer. (kind of strange that the example uses string). Just use ifs
The example use character constants not string.

angevoyageur:
The example use character constants not string.
Good point!

ENUM_TIMEFRAMES SetPeriodName (string period){
Where is this string coming from? Instead, make it an input, no conversion required.
input ENUM_TIMEFRAMES inpPeriod=PERIOD_CURRENT;
      ENUM_TIMEFRAMES period; // Actualint OnInit(){
   period = inpPeriod == PERIOD_CURRENT ? ENUM_TIMEFRAMES(_Period) : period;
Reason: