Is SSD really that better over HDD for MT5?

Hi,

I've a similar question to this thread: hhd or ssd for optimization? - MT5 - General - MQL5 programming forum . In my case, I've a limited 256Gb SSD where Windows is installed and where I'd like to install video games. Plus, I have a full of free space HDD just for common software installation and I'm going now to install MT5.

Well I'm aware that everything else equal, it will always be better to install software in an SSD over an HDD. But MT5 can be sometimes tricky with data management since it accumulates logs and back history data can be pretty big, and I don't have too much free SSD for my videogames already, so I'm really inclined to install my MT5 in the HDD. My fear, though, is that such decision may lower substantially MT5's speed and that may cause financial loss with some extra lag or something. 

So my question is: does using SSD over HDD improves MT5's speed substantially? Or can I happily install it in my HDD without worrying about it?
hhd or ssd for optimization?
hhd or ssd for optimization?
  • www.mql5.com
hi guys for a little heavy backtest and optimization in mt5 you recommend HDD or SSD hard disk? or there is no difference...

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

I want to build a PC to work with MT 5, what do you recommend and why?

Renat Fatkhullin , 2019.02.13 21:34

An SSD is a must anyway if you don't want to waste time lifting bases.

Memory from 16 GB. The more extensive data you calculate, the more memory it will fit into caches and give real acceleration in complex cases.

If trading with analysis is work, then you do not need to economize extremely and try to squeeze the maximum out of ancient iron.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Discussion of the article "Basics of Testing in MetaTrader 5"

Renat Fatkhullin , 2021.01.14 16:52

It's simple:
- more cores for the processor, but do not load all cores in the optimizer, leave a couple at least
- higher processor frequency
- maximum memory for holding system caches of the terminal and tester
- SSD is required, NVMe is better

Well, then SSD is the way to go. Thanks!