VPS Effects on Synchronization...

I'm using EAs with some interactive chart features as well as the ability to modify inputs as the EA is running.  I believed previously that the Metatrader VPS would provide a complete Metatrader environment in which to interact, however, I now see that what Metaquotes is providing is a Metatrader instance on a remote server that receives configuration files from my local machine when I "synchronize" it  (local->VPS), disabling autotrading on my local machine in the process.

My question centers around wanting to change EA settings while it is running.  With a traditional VPS, I could simply login to the remote server and make my changes without needing any restart or re-sync. With Metaquotes' option, it appears I would need to reconstruct the environment I want to copy over on my local machine, then sync it up to the remote machine.  I'm wondering if then the EA (or the whole Metatrader instance itself) restarts then each time I do a synchronization?  If the EA restarts when I sync it up, does this lead to the potential for detached open trades that the EA may not be tracking?  Does the EA's memory and operating environment get reset to new?

I see this as potentially problematic.  If the only way to interact with the EA or to change inputs while it is running causes a restart, I don't think this really presents a truly viable VPS solution.  Could anyone let me know if they've dealt with this issue and if they've been able nevertheless to work with the Metaquotes native VPS?

Thanks!

MQL5 VPS is ""your second Metatrader in cloud". It meansL MQL5 VPS = Metatrader.
Synchronization (migration) = sending your chart(s) with EA(s) attached or your signal subscription to this MQL5 VPS (to your "second Metatrader in cloud").

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

How to update/adjust EAs that are hosted on a VPS?

Eleni Anna Branou, 2017.07.18 12:58

You have to make your adjustments locally in your computer's MT4 platform and then synchronize with your VPS again.

MQL5 MT4 integrated VPS doesn't give you real/visual access to the MT4 platform that your EAs are loaded on.

Thanks for sending that.  Unfortunately, the link you shared doesn't answer my question.  Specifically,

When I recreate the environment on my local machine that I want to sync to the remote server, and then go through with the sync, do the charts I already have open and running on the remote machine get shut down and replaced with the charts from my local machine? 

If the only way to adjust the settings on an EA that is running is to recreate the EA on my local machine, adjust the settings, then sync, then this seems to mean that the memory in which the EA is running remotely is quashed and replaced with the new EA instance from the local machine now copied over to the remote machine.  This sounds like it may result in stranded trades and lost data since the EA is effectively restarted.  Is this correct?

MQL5 VPS is "Metatrader in cloud".
And synchronization (migration) is the following: you are "sending" all open charts with EAs attached onto it to this "Metatrader in cloud".
After that - you can check MQL5 VPS journal - everything is fine or not. And finally - you can close your home Metatrader.

If you need to change something on this remote Metatrader ("Metatrader in cloud) so you are doing the migration once again:
you opened chart with EA with the settings youwant for this remote Metatrader to be installed/opened, migrate them.

This sounds like it may result in stranded trades and lost data since the EA is effectively restarted.  Is this correct?

You can want when al the trades will be closed and provide the synchronization during the weekend.
Or you can pause VPS (remote Metatrader will stop working), close the trades manually, and provide synch ronization with new settings for the EA.
And in this case synchronization = starting VPS (after pausing).

I mean: you should plan this process (synchronization).

Reason: