Memory Limit with MetaTrader Terminal. - page 2

I am using 64 bit too and wrote to Service desk too. Let's see what we are getting from service desk.

Regards.

Filter:
I'm actually having a similar problem with a few EAs since the last update. Sometimes it works fine, other times MT freezes and locks the whole PC so I have to do a hard restart. Very odd as my memory usage is below 40% and CPU under 10%.....?

What I find interesting from your comment is that you mentioned it happens since last update (i.e. build 975). So this issue may be only for this build 975. I guess. I don't have previous build so I can't test it right now.

Kind regards.

FinanceEngineer:

What I find interesting from your comment is that you mentioned it happens since last update (i.e. build 975). So this issue may be only for this build 975. I guess. I don't have previous build so I can't test it right now.

Kind regards.

Yes, and same thing with MT4 since last update too....

2 weeks ago I couldn't get any of my MT4 installs to launch, all of them froze the PC as soon as they were launched. Had to uninstall them all and re-install, then everything fine. Very strange

Filter:

Yes, and same thing with MT4 since last update too....

2 weeks ago I couldn't get any of my MT4 installs to launch, all of them froze the PC as soon as they were launched. Had to uninstall them all and re-install, then everything fine. Very strange

I checked with my log file but there was nothing is written on my log file too. Do you have any idea how much memory your MT5 terminal was using before crash your terminal and how much free Physical memory were you having before crash?

In my case, my terminal crash if MT5 terminal reach the memory usage of 1 GB out of my total 8 GB Physical memory. When the MT5 terminal memory usage reaches 1 GB, then the EA stop working and so I just remove the EA from my chart to recover my terminal. However it doesn't freeze my whole PC.  

Other application outside Meta Trader terminal is running fine. 

Kind regards.    

FinanceEngineer:

I checked with my log file but there was nothing is written on my log file too. Do you have any idea how much memory your MT5 terminal was using before crash your terminal and how much free Physical memory were you having before crash?

In my case, my terminal crash if MT5 terminal reach the memory usage of 1 GB out of my total 8 GB Physical memory. When the MT5 terminal memory usage reaches 1 GB, then the EA stop working and so I just remove the EA from my chart to recover my terminal. However it doesn't freeze my whole PC.  

Other application outside Meta Trader terminal is running fine. 

Kind regards.    

No sorry, really can't say for sure what the exact numbers were but my widget showing CPU and Memory usage was well under 1/2 way (6GB physical and 6GB disk, I7 quad). When it locks up the PC I can't even CTRL-ALT-DEL, it's a total lock up

oddpip:
If it crash it surely reach a limit it is unable to manage, for example a limit in the number or arrays, and not just an out of memory problem.

I can only suggest to log these numbers to spot the point where it stops. No need to save every output, just to rewrite the current status of the expert.

Your idea is interesting. I checked my log file but there is nothing to notice except the text printed from my own printf() function.

Can you bit more specific  if MetaTrader 5 terminal really has such a limit with number of arrays? I am not sure if such a thing exists in C++.

For single array, yes, I think you can't create a single array with more than 500,000 elements or 5 million something (I don't remember exact figure). However I don't know if you have limit with number of arrays you can create. Mostly what I observed from C++ is that the executable program stops when the memory is exhausted in our PC.

Getting back to Meta Trader terminal, in my EA, I have many small arrays far far smaller than  (like 1000 elements maybe) the 500, 000 element or the limit.

So this is not single array problem. But as you said if there is really limit in number of arrays you can create, then it might be the source of the problem. However, so far, I did not come across such a limit with Meta Trader terminal.     

Regards.

Filter:
No sorry, really can't say for sure what the exact numbers were but my widget showing CPU and Memory usage was well under 1/2 way (6GB physical and 6GB disk, I7 quad). When it locks up the PC I can't even CTRL-ALT-DEL, it's a total lock up

This seems a very low level problem, usually the OS is able to manage these exceptions without hang.

FinanceEngineer:

Your idea is interesting. I checked my log file but there is nothing to notice except the text printed from my own printf() function.

We are talking about an exception in the MT terminal, a bug, an irreversible error. MT itself can't be able to log it.
The only way is to save (photograph) the status of the EA before it. The last state available before the crash.
This is the usual way to find bugs. To print out the status of the variables to find when they assume unexpected values.

If, for example, you create arrays recursively, maybe you hit a limit (or a bug) of the current version of MT.

This seems a very low level problem, usually the OS is able to manage these exceptions without hang.

For my PC, the problem is only limited to the crash of Expert Advisor. As soon as I remove expert advisor from the chart, the functionality of Meta Trader terminal comes back.

oddpip:

We are talking about an exception in the MT terminal, a bug, an irreversible error. MT itself can't be able to log it.
The only way is to save (photograph) the status of the EA before it. The last state available before the crash.
This is the usual way to find bugs. To print out the status of the variables to find when they assume unexpected values.

If, for example, you create arrays recursively, maybe you hit a limit (or a bug) of the current version of MT.

Unfortunately it is difficult to find a bug for this problem. The calculation is just mathematical calculation and nothing to do with any order management or position management. So it is difficult to find trace of this calculation. I do print some stuff but they are just some numbers.

In Meta Editor compilation, I don't get any error or warning. So I guess it is really clean code. Plus if I use smaller loop, then the calculation is completed without freezing the expert advisor.

All I can say is that, just like you said, there is some limit in MT5 terminal. However, it is just our seemingly opinion not a fact yet.

Regards.

FinanceEngineer:
Plus if I use smaller loop, then the calculation is completed without freezing the expert advisor.
If MT just freeze, could be the EA enters in a infinite loop? Like bouncing forever between two states?
Reason: