trade.buy() method (Stocks)

What kind of data should I be putting in the trade.buy.volume property? Is this the number of shares I wish to buy? In some of the MT5 code I see values like 0.10 but I don't know what that means.

Thank you...

Ralph Freshour:

What kind of data should I be putting in the trade.buy.volume property? Is this the number of shares I wish to buy? In some of the MT5 code I see values like 0.10 but I don't know what that means.

Thank you...

Buy

Opens a long position with specified parameters.

bool  Buy(
   double        volume,          // position volume
   const string  symbol=NULL,     // symbol
   double        price=0.0,       // execution price
   double        sl=0.0,          // stop loss price
   double        tp=0.0,          // take profit price
   const string  comment=""       // comment
   )

Parameters

volume

[in]  Requested position volume.

So 'volume' is the volume you want to buy. Stocks (very often) have a multiple of '1', but for forex trading, the volume (very often) is a multiple of '0.01'.

Documentation on MQL5: Standard Library / Trade Classes / CTrade / Buy
Documentation on MQL5: Standard Library / Trade Classes / CTrade / Buy
  • www.mql5.com
Successful completion of the Buy(...) method does not always mean successful execution of the trade operation. It is necessary to check the result of trade request (trade server return code) using ResultRetcode() and value returned by ResultDeal().

Vladimir Karputov:

Buy

Opens a long position with specified parameters.

Parameters

volume

[in]  Requested position volume.

So 'volume' is the volume you want to buy. Stocks (very often) have a multiple of '1', but for forex trading, the volume (very often) is a multiple of '0.01'.

So if I wanted to buy 20 (stock) shares, then I would specify a double data type such as: 20.0  correct?

Ralph Freshour :

So if I wanted to buy 20 (stock) shares, then I would specify a double data type such as: 20.0  correct?

Yes, the volume is specified with type ' double '

double         volume,           // position volume 

After I posted my question I read that stock volume is given in Lots, where 1 'round' lot is 100 shares of stock. 'Odd' lots are less than 100 shares.

So if I set my buy volume to 1.0 then I would be asking to buy 100 shares of a given stock.

Ralph Freshour :

After I posted my question I read that stock volume is given in Lots, where 1 'round' lot is 100 shares of stock. 'Odd' lots are less than 100 shares.

So if I set my buy volume to 1.0 then I would be asking to buy 100 shares of a given stock.

Mathematics, third grade:

1 != 100 

:)

Yet:

SYMBOL_VOLUME_MIN not always equal SYMBOL_TRADE_CONTRACT_SIZE

Use script:

//+------------------------------------------------------------------+
//|                                         All Symbols all path.mq5 |
#property version   "1.001"
//| Script program start function                                    |
void OnStart()
  {
//---
   string array[][4]; // [][0] - Symbol, [][1] - Path, [][1] - Volume min
   int total=SymbolsTotal(false);
   ArrayResize(array,total);
   for(int i=0; i<total; i++)
     {
      string name=SymbolName(i,false);
      array[i][0]=name;
      array[i][1]=SymbolInfoString(name,SYMBOL_PATH);
      array[i][2]=DoubleToString(SymbolInfoDouble(name,SYMBOL_VOLUME_MIN),2);
      array[i][3]=DoubleToString(SymbolInfoDouble(name,SYMBOL_TRADE_CONTRACT_SIZE),2);
     }
   string array_description[4]= {"Symbol","Path","Volume min","Contract size"};
   ArrayPrint(array_description);
   ArrayPrint(array);
  }

result:

[  43,] "LKOH.MM"                         "Stock Markets\Russia\MICEX20\LKOH.MM"               "1.00"                       "1.00"                                              
[  44,] "MAGN.MM"                         "Stock Markets\Russia\MICEX Other\MAGN.MM"           "1.00"                       "100.00"                                            
[  45,] "MGNT.MM"                         "Stock Markets\Russia\MICEX20\MGNT.MM"               "1.00"                       "1.00"                                              
[  46,] "MOEX.MM"                         "Stock Markets\Russia\MICEX20\MOEX.MM"               "1.00"                       "10.00"                                             
[  47,] "USDHKD"                          "Forex\Forex\USDHKD"                                 "0.01"                       "100000.00"                                         
[  48,] "USDILS"                          "Forex\Forex\USDILS"                                 "0.01"                       "100000.00"                                         
[  49,] "USDMXN"                          "Forex\Forex\USDMXN"                                 "0.01"                       "100000.00"                                         
[  50,] "MTSS.MM"                         "Stock Markets\Russia\MICEX20\MTSS.MM"               "1.00"                       "10.00"                                             
[  51,] "NLMK.MM"                         "Stock Markets\Russia\MICEX20\NLMK.MM"               "1.00"                       "10.00"                                             
[  52,] "NOKSEK"                          "Forex\Forex\NOKSEK"                                 "0.01"                       "100000.00"                                         
Files:
Reason: