is it possible to develop EA for Futures contracts?

Hi, I have recently started learning MQL5 language and all the tutorials are only focused on Forex market. I have been trading Futures contracts(manually) with <Deleted>. So, my question is If i keep learning Mql5 language, will I be able to develop EA for Futures market(with <Deleted>)? Thank you in advance.
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Symbol Properties
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Symbol Properties
  • www.mql5.com
To obtain the current market information there are several functions: SymbolInfoInteger(), SymbolInfoDouble() and SymbolInfoString(). The first parameter is the symbol name, the values of the second function parameter can be one of the identifiers of ENUM_SYMBOL_INFO_INTEGER, ENUM_SYMBOL_INFO_DOUBLE and ENUM_SYMBOL_INFO_STRING. Some symbols...

Sure, it is not a problem.  In forex market still have same for gold ,oil and index.

Rass:
Hi, I have recently started learning MQL5 language and all the tutorials are only focused on Forex market. I have been trading Futures contracts(manually) with <Deleted>. So, my question is If i keep learning Mql5 language, will I be able to develop EA for Futures market(with <Deleted>)? Thank you in advance.
Hi Rass. Were you able to do this successfully? I code for index CFDs and Forex and am trying to move into Futures. I'm not sure how to backtest with limited history on the contracts. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Theo H. #:
Hi Rass. Were you able to do this successfully? I code for index CFDs and Forex and am trying to move into Futures. I'm not sure how to backtest with limited history on the contracts. Any help or advice is appreciated.

For back-testing you can use the continuous contract, starting with @.

I don't think there's a easy way to roll over contracts. Each future contract is it's own thing.

I do trade futures on the brazilian market and I have to manually close contracts before they expire and open it again with the new date.

If they expired they lose all their value.

I think there might be a way to roll over, but you would need to contact the broker and asked them to do it. It's also not free. At least that's how it works here in Brazil.

Rafael Grecco #:

I don't think there's a easy way to roll over contracts. Each future contract is it's own thing.

I do trade futures on the brazilian market and I have to manually close contracts before they expire and open it again with the new date.

If they expired they lose all their value.

I think there might be a way to roll over, but you would need to contact the broker and asked them to do it. It's also not free. At least that's how it works here in Brazil.

Expired contracts don't "lose all their value", they settle at the final quoted price.

TomP3185 #:

For back-testing you can use the continuous contract, starting with @.

Thanks Tom!

Rass:

yes, you can trade popular futures like Gold, Silver, Copper, Crude OIL, soilbean, suggar, cotton, some Forex broker provide commodity CFD to trade.  It's not mt4/mt5 issue, it's broker issue. 

Definitely.  You can trade in oil, Gold, Silver, and stock futures markets.  You can set the position size for as low as 0.01.. then go higher as you gain confidence or your account grows. MT4 and MT 5 both support these products.   Your homework would to figure out how much of your account is taken up with 0.01 position size and adjust accordingly.  Cheers.

TradersServices #:
Definitely.  You can trade in oil, Gold, Silver, and stock futures markets.  You can set the position size for as low as 0.01.. then go higher as you gain confidence or your account grows. MT4 and MT 5 both support these products.   Your homework would to figure out how much of your account is taken up with 0.01 position size and adjust accordingly.  Cheers.

MT4 doesn't support trading Futures.

Futures doesn't allow to trade 0.01 volume. Futures trade contracts and as far as I know the minimum is at least 1 and you can't have fractional volume.

What you are referring too is CFD I suppose, which is completely different.

It is indeed possible if Your broker offer such instruments.
Reason: