EA testing over multiple currencies forces me to do optimisation?

Hello!

I recently switched to MT5/MQL5 in order to be able to easily test my EA over multiple currency pairs. I have ported my code and everything works great but I am having a really mundane problem now: I just don't seem to be able to actually get the Tester to test over multiple currencies.

Everytime I chose "All symbols in Market Watch" (there are 24) it automatically choses the option of Optimization. But my EA has no inputs, so there can be no optimisation. When I chose "Deactivated" on the Optimizer dropdown menu, the "All symbols in Marketwatch" turns to be the first pair in the Market Watch. So I can't start optimisation over multiple pairs...

Am I doing something wrong or can testing over multiple pairs only be done in conjunction with optimisation?

Thanks!

same here. any advice?

es_online50 #:
same here. any advice?

If your EA is multi-symbol and properly coded to select and trade the multiple symbols, then don't select "All symbols in Market Watch". Select only one symbol (equivalent to placing your EA on a single chart).

You only choose "All symbols in Market Watch" when your EA only trades one single symbol and you want to see how it works on each symbol individually as if you were optimising it.

Fernando Carreiro #:

If your EA is multi-symbol and properly coded to select and trade the multiple symbols, then don't select "All symbols in Market Watch". Select only one symbol (equivalent to placing your EA on a single chart).

You only choose "All symbols in Market Watch" when your EA only trades one single symbol and you want to see how it works on each symbol individually as if you were optimising it.

ok. thanks for the reply.

then the problem is the EA gives different result o each tested pair (ie. multi pair EA tested on NZDJPY, give different result if tested in EURUSD or EURGBP, or other pair). Marketinfo such as SymbolInfoDouble and Tick Value already set to match each 28 forex pair.

es_online50 #: ok. thanks for the reply. then the problem is the EA gives different result o each tested pair (ie. multi pair EA tested on NZDJPY, give different result if tested in EURUSD or EURGBP, or other pair). Marketinfo such as SymbolInfoDouble and Tick Value already set to match each 28 forex pair.

When you place an EA on a chart, the OnTick() event is only called by ticks arriving for the symbol only. That is probably why you are getting very different results depending on which symbol it runs primarily.

The EA must be coded in a way to regularly check all its symbols on a regular basis if it is very dependant on tick data. That is why, in those cases the EA is placed normally on the most volatile and liquid symbol so that it has many tick events, and in combination with the OnTimer event, so as to be able to check tick data from other symbols regularly.

Reason: