.mq4 file to .ex4

Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing fine, I am not sure if I posted on the right place, if not I am sorry I can delete it or remove!

Title says it all, I have .mq4 file thats a EA, when I add this file to Expert Advisor it just works fine but I want to make it to .ex4 file

I opened it with Meta Editor and clicked compile, after that a .ex4 file came to that folder, I tried adding that .ex4 file to Expert Advisor but when I try to add to EA to chart it just doesnt show anything.

I can show  what it shows after trying to compile:

1. test.mq4   <-- source code

2.'stdlib.mqh'

3.'stderror.mqh'

4. 'WinUser32.mqh'

5. 0 errors, 0 warnings, 300 msec elapsed

It shows 0 errors, but not sure why it doesnt work when I try to run it

Thanks in advance for everyone that will try to help me!

bigbash: It shows 0 errors, but not sure why it doesnt work when I try to run it

That means it compiles, nothing more. void OnTick(){} also compiles, but it sure won't do anything.

"Doesn't work" is meaningless — just like saying the car doesn't work. Doesn't start, won't go in gear, no electrical, missing the key, flat tires — meaningless.

Do you really expect an answer? There are no mind readers here and our crystal balls are cracked. We can't see your broken code.

Use the debugger or print out your variables, including _LastError and prices and find out why. Do you really expect us to debug your code for you?

Hey, 

I understand, but when I try to run the that mq4 file as Expert Adviser it just works, I open it and doesnt change anything, so I dont thing there it problem with code

Thanks for your answer btw

MQ4 is source code — you can't run it. You have to compile it to EX4 and attach that to a chart.

I can run it, I add to Expert Adviser folder then drag and drop to the chart, it works fine!

William Roeder:
MQ4 is source code — you can't run it. You have to compile it to EX4 and attach that to a chart.

Hey what I just tried worked, I opened the mq4 file then selected all and copied, opened new file and pasted the whole code to new file, then compiled and it seems working now.

Does this mean that this new .ex4 file is exactly the same to the mq4 file, I want to change few comments and maybe add new feature

Thanks alot!

ex4. is the executable file, the source mq4 is the one you edit

bigbash:

Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing fine, I am not sure if I posted on the right place, if not I am sorry I can delete it or remove!

Title says it all, I have .mq4 file thats a EA, when I add this file to Expert Advisor it just works fine but I want to make it to .ex4 file

I opened it with Meta Editor and clicked compile, after that a .ex4 file came to that folder, I tried adding that .ex4 file to Expert Advisor but when I try to add to EA to chart it just doesnt show anything.

I can show  what it shows after trying to compile:

1. test.mq4   <-- source code

2.'stdlib.mqh'

3.'stderror.mqh'

4. 'WinUser32.mqh'

5. 0 errors, 0 warnings, 300 msec elapsed

It shows 0 errors, but not sure why it doesnt work when I try to run it

Thanks in advance for everyone that will try to help me!

When the mq4 file is compiled, the ex4 file is already in the Expert folder. If you copy and paste the ex4 file again into the Experts folder,

then there may already be 2 files with the same name. When run, MT4 will give an error message on the Journal tab or Experts tab that file.ex4 cannot be opened.

Try checking the Journal tab.

bigbash:

Hey what I just tried worked, I opened the mq4 file then selected all and copied, opened new file and pasted the whole code to new file, then compiled and it seems working now.

Does this mean that this new .ex4 file is exactly the same to the mq4 file, I want to change few comments and maybe add new feature

Thanks alot!

you ran an mq4 file 
ok 

ok 
How did you run a text file. 
whatyou justsaid is 

I have iron, oil, Electricity and I flew in it but when I make an aeroplane it doesn't fly. 

Reason: