On two different EAs I can go long and short but if I try to get one ea to do both it instantly closes the position upon entering it. Any ideas?

Hey Guys,

I am struggling with getting my ea to trade both directions without immediately closing them.

Any suggestions? I am relatively new to coding.

Files:

VINCENT PAUL CAPIZZO:

Hey Guys,

I am struggling with getting my ea to trade both directions without immediately closing them.

Fix the compiler warnings for lines 78 and 119, and you'll see improvement.

Hey,

Are you using different magic numbers?

Michail Manelidis:

Hey,

Are you using different magic numbers?

I am not, I need different magic numbers within the same ea?

Seng Joo Thio:

Fix the compiler warnings for lines 78 and 119, and you'll see improvement.

I'll give that a shot, thank you

VINCENT PAUL CAPIZZO:

Hey Guys,

Won't solve your immediate problem, but you might need to look at the structure of your coding.

A quick look told me you have just the standard functions: OnInit, OnTick, OnDeinit..I'm no expert, but if you separate out some of the code actions into functions, it makes it a lot easier to read and debug.

Take this segment, in OnTick(), which I'm guessing is to identify a sell order?

if(Bid < ThirtyMinuteEMA)
{
if(ThirtyMinuteCCI>-100)
if(CurrentMACDSignal<PreviousMACDSignal)
if((TimeCurrent()>= StrToTime(StartTrading)) && (TimeCurrent() <= StrToTime(StopTrading)))
if(AccountBalance() > StopTradingBalance)
if(Bid < FiveMinute200PeriodEMA)
if((FirstClose>CurrentSlow) && (SecondClose<CurrentSlow))

if(OrdersTotal()==0)
// etc

That code is a prime candidate to put into a separate function like this, away from OnTick()

void OnTick(){
 // other code
 if(IsSellOrder())
  ticket=OrderSend(..);

}

bool IsSellOrder(){
 if(!cond0)return false;
 if(!cond1)return false;
 return true;
}

For me, this makes it easier to read, and debug. 

Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Trade Constants / Trade Orders in DOM
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Trade Constants / Trade Orders in DOM
  • www.mql5.com
For equity securities, the Depth of Market window is available, where you can see the current Buy and Sell orders. Desired direction of a trade operation, required amount and requested price are specified for each order. To obtain...
Reason: