Tester agents limited to 8 at local network farm - page 2

Would be cool if anyone could confirm this: I downloaded the file which @Alain Verleyen shared. After I reopened it actually says to it's the current version. So if you make the agent setup first and then reopen and let the update take place the settings are still saved and you can use all cores.

This seams to be a working solution and will work forever with no incompatible issues!

Alexander:

I get that but do you have any clue how much slower this is? The speed is pretty much cut in half and I have to run single optimizations on each of my machines what takes a lot of time to set it up. My local network farm became pretty much useless this way which wasn't the case earlier (disabling Hyperthreading just helps a bit). It's unprofessional that we can't have an option to activate all our cores when so many rely on that.

If you look at my previous post so you can see the link to the thread where the MetaQuotes replied (translated to the English):
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/343306 and they have their own arguments:

Now in Cloud they drive very expensive tasks, and the vast majority of Cloud participants have a banal lack of memory with many agents. For example, 2 GB per agent and 16 agents already require at least 32 GB of memory, although usually 8-16 GB are available.

As a result, many passes fail, wasting the network and agents. But most importantly, they are slowing down the calculation due to expectations of results and restarting tasks.

We know what and how to do. Moreover, the ability to properly use / scale resources practically does not affect the amount of code or the severity of the program.

Progress has come a long time ago. My working computer with 128 cores, since last year we have been purchasing computers with at least 64 cores for developers.

Working with such features, you immediately see the limits of scaling or inefficient use of resources. Therefore, we are rebuilding the terminal and tester to work effectively in more sophisticated configurations.

Moreover, these changes will provide multiple improvements and resource savings on weaker computers.

So, you told that MetaQuotes developers are unprofessional, but they feel to be very professional irrespective of your opinion and so on
:)

Types of computer server to use for local agent optimizations
Types of computer server to use for local agent optimizations
  • www.mql5.com
General: Types of computer server to use for local agent optimizations

Alexander:

Would be cool if anyone could confirm this: I downloaded the file which @Alain Verleyen shared. After I reopened it actually says to it's the current version. So if you make the agent setup first and then reopen and let the update take place the settings are still saved and you can use all cores.

This seams to be a working solution and will work forever with no incompatible issues!

If you found the way to do it with cloud so - fine.

The issue could be better resolved by only using logical cores in the MQL5 cloud network

But allow clients to test in their own local network with all physical and logical cores.  Surely it's not a big effort for Metaquotes to resolve this problem.  It's been years now since people have been asking for it to be fixed. All modern CPU's are designed to have more logical cores and if they aren't used it's a massive waste of money. 

Alexander:

Yeah, that used to work, but not anymore as of August 5.  Meta Tester spontaneously uninstalls itself completely within 24 hours if you do this now.  Additionally, I have a problem with it doing that on my 8 core 8 thread i7-9700K machine every couple days, and randomly doing that on other machines too—despite being installed correctly with the new limited number of agents.  Very frustrating!

I just spent over three thousand dollars on multiple PCs for the specific purpose of making a local farm for MT5 optimization and now I find out I can only use half the threads? If they have such a huge issue with logical cores in the cloud then why don't they forbid logical cores in the cloud and give unrestricted access to local farms? How can they be this incompetent? Why screw over their clients in such a harmful manner?

Colin Leamy:
I just spent over three thousand dollars on multiple PCs for the specific purpose of making a local farm for MT5 optimization and now I find out I can only use half the threads? If they have such a huge issue with logical cores in the cloud then why don't they forbid logical cores in the cloud and give unrestricted access to local farms? How can they be this incompetent? Why screw over their clients in such a harmful manner?

You should have checked that BEFORE buying PCs (it's publicly available information).

Are you sure using all cores is more efficient than using only physical cores ?

Reason: