zero divide

Hi,

I have a question about zero divide in indicator when it run. What is wrong. Should we use a trick to fix it? Thanks.

int OnCalculate(const int rates_total,
                const int prev_calculated,
                const datetime &time[],
                const double &open[],
                const double &high[],
                const double &low[],
                const double &close[],
                const long &tick_volume[],
                const long &volume[],
                const int &spread[])
  {
//---
   double temp= 1/MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_MARGINREQUIRED); //<==== it is zero divide 
   Print(temp);
//--- return value of prev_calculated for next call
   return(rates_total);
  }
//+------------------------------------------------------------------+

belido:

Hi,

I have a question about zero divide in indicator when it run. What is wrong. Should we use a trick to fix it? Thanks.

A trick ? Yes, don't divide by zero.

belido:

Hi,

Function MarketInfo() is wrong. According to the documentation it MUST return a particular kind of "various data about securities listed in the "Market Watch" window" and in the particular case it is "Margin to maintain open orders calculated for 1 lot", which cannot be 0. Nevertheless, the function returns 0. It is wrong.

The trick you might use is first to keep the value returned by the function in an additional variable and then check its value for 0. If it is 0, an error should be signaled somehow instead of performing division. Otherwise, division is to be performed as usual.

angevoyageur:
A trick ? Yes, don't divide by zero.
Sorry, there is NO division by zero in the code. Consult the documentation, please.

Thanks all for the respons. Let me make more clear. 

MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_MARGINREQUIRED) does have non zero value. 

But when we run MT4 with that indicator in it, it has zero divide error. 

Then if we compile the indicator, it works.

The question is why it has to compile every we start MT4.

PS : that formula works well if we put in EA

What it looks like at terminal

If the symbol you are using has no data at the time you apply the indicator, the MarketInfo() can't return the right value.

Why don't you filter the calculation with : if(MarketInfo(....) > 0)

FerruFx:

If the symbol you are using has no data at the time you apply the indicator, the MarketInfo() can't return the right value.

Thanks FerruFx.

That's what I meant using a trick. Your explanation is clear for me now.

belido:

Thanks FerruFx.

That's what I meant using a trick. Your explanation is clear for me now.

You're welcome.

FerruFx:

MarketInfo() must be called one time. The returned value should be stored in a variable. Then the value stored in the variable must be used as in comparison as in division instead of making multiple calls to MarketInfo() (one for comparison and one for division) because there is no guarantee that if the first time MarketInfo() returned non-0 sometime during MT4 starting then it will not return 0 when it is called almost immediately the second time. It is wrong to make an assumption that MarketInfo() will not ever return 0 since it the first time returned non-0 during MT4 starting.

simpleton:
Sorry, there is NO division by zero in the code. Consult the documentation, please.
Of course, the OP get a zero divide error, but there is no division by zero in the code. I suppose you are understanding yourself what you mean.

angevoyageur:
Of course, the OP get a zero divide error, but there is no division by zero in the code. I suppose you are understanding yourself what you mean.

According to the documentation MarketInfo() CANNOT return 0 for the particular parameter.

The fact it does means the quality of MT4 implementation is quite poor.

What if MarketInfo() returns a non-zero but still wrong value?

Do programmers need to calculate the same value MarketInfo() should return themselves and then check whether MarketInfo() returned a proper value and they can trust it or not?

The system functions must strictly adhere their contracts. If documentation says MarketInfo() does not return zero (for a particular parameter) then there is NO division by zero in "1 / MarketInfo()" expression. But you implicitly stated that there is.

This is definitely the bug of MarketInfo(). And therefore a workaround is needed.

Reason: