iCustom buffer request does not match indicator buffer

To add comments, please log in or register
Onno Rijkers
Onno Rijkers  

In the attached file "5MinutesScalping-i4.mq4" you'll find the source code of an indicator I downloaded. It has 2 buffers (buffer 0 and 1) which provide buy/sell signals.

Now I want to create my own custom indicator (attached file "Onno - Indicator.mq4") that uses the attached indicator by calling iCustom with either buffer 0 or buffer 1.

This always returns the value EMPTY_VALUE, even though the indicator (when attached to a chart) has some valid value.

Now, when I call iCustom with either buffer 2 or 3, it does give me the correct values. How is this possible? Is it something I overlooked, is it some peculiarity I am not aware of, or is it an "undocumented feature"?

Thanks for looking into it.

Soewono Effendi
Soewono Effendi  
Onno Rijkers:

In the attached file "5MinutesScalping-i4.mq4" you'll find the source code of an indicator I downloaded. It has 2 buffers (buffer 0 and 1) which provide buy/sell signals.

Now I want to create my own custom indicator (attached file "Onno - Indicator.mq4") that uses the attached indicator by calling iCustom with either buffer 0 or buffer 1.

This always returns the value EMPTY_VALUE, even though the indicator (when attached to a chart) has some valid value.

Now, when I call iCustom with either buffer 2 or 3, it does give me the correct values. How is this possible? Is it something I overlooked, is it some peculiarity I am not aware of, or is it an "undocumented feature"?

verify all of your parameters in iCustom()
It seems to have one too many.
======
extern int    ATRperiod=14;
extern bool   AlertMode=true;
extern bool   ControlChart_EURUSD_M5=true;

Onno Rijkers
Onno Rijkers  
Soewono Effendi:

verify all of your parameters in iCustom()
It seems to have one too many.
======

I don't see how it has one too many?

The call: iCustom(Symbol(), PERIOD_CURRENT, "::Indicators\\5MinutesScalping-i4.ex4", 14, false, false, 2, shift);

param 1 = symbol

param2 = period

param3 = indicator name

param4 = ATRperiod (= 14)

param5 = AlertMode (= false)

param6 = ControlChart_EURUSD_M5 (= false)

param7 = buffer (= 2)

param8 = shift

param 4 - 6 are the 3 indicator parameters, the others are iCustom parameters.

Soewono Effendi
Soewono Effendi  

the easiest way to test, is to create another indicator that plots these buffers.

Seng Joo Thio
Seng Joo Thio  
Onno Rijkers:

In your 5MinutesScalping-i4.mq4, these few lines are problematic (first run, straightaway return -1, subsequent runs re-calculate almost all the bars repeatedly slowing - wasting cpu resources), and they are the primary reason why your iCustom can't get any value):

ExtCountedBars=IndicatorCounted()-2;
   if(ExtCountedBars>Bars-2) ExtCountedBars=Bars-2;
   if(ExtCountedBars<0) return(-1);
   if(ExtCountedBars>0) ExtCountedBars--;
   Limit=ExtCountedBars;

Replace them with this line instead and see what happens:

Limit = MathMin(rates_total-3,rates_total-prev_calculated);
To add comments, please log in or register