Looking for help please to download custom indicator for MT4 on Mac

Hi everyone, I'm trying to download the Moving Averages crossover indicator and when I click 'download' the link it takes me to doesn't work for me, I think this is because I'm using MT4 on a Mac with Wine. The only custom indicators I have so far, I have downloaded as .ex4 files and manually put into the Data Folder in Metatrader to add them to my indicators list. So I might need to download the .ex4 file directly? I can't find a way to do this on this website, it only takes me to this link and I'm unsure what to do next with this: mql4buy://24331.MA%20Crossover%20Arrows/free

Many thanks in advance for any help.

I found one small thread related to this issue - 

----------------

How to download - Mac (solved) 
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/271784

Impossible to download automatic equity manager for Mac
Impossible to download automatic equity manager for Mac
  • www.mql5.com
Hi all, It seems it's not possible to download an application for Mac, is that correct...

Thank you very much. I'm not sure where Wine has even downloaded to so that these settings can be opened, can't find it in Applications, anywhere in my terminal, in Anaconda or using a search of my whole computer. All I know is it's there somewhere and that things work the way they are aside from the Market. I think it's not worth the risk of making MT4 not work by trying to reinstall Wine as there was some difficulty getting it working in the first place - and everything is nicely set up on MT4 so I wasn't planning to use MT5 at any point soon. Sadly, I'll hold off on these custom indicators for now. If anyone wouldn't mind PM'ing to send me the .ex4 file by email that'd be really appreciated and I can swap some custom indicators.

Hi there...

Here's what I do to add a custom indicator or template to your mt4 trading platform for Mac.

1-Find your mt4 platform (ie. FBS, XM, IC Markets.. etc. ) in the applications folder.

2-right click on that.

3-click on "contents - Resources - drive_c - Program Files"...

5-Then you should see your mt4 trading platform.

6-Click on that and you will see MQL4. Click on that and add your indicators to that file called "indicators".

7-Add templates to the "templates" folder.

8-Go to your platform and right click in the folders dropdown on the left side and press "refresh". Your indicators will show up there.

I like to use the refresh tab. It saves a lot of time by doing this than closing and reopening your mt4 charts.

I found this also.

https://youtu.be/fBgDRFlcuH4

Also type into Youtube - how to add indicators to you mt4 charts on a mac

Many different videos for the same end result.

Cheers!!

Thank you very much for your reply Randy. Just to clarify, I have a way to add custom indicators which I've already downloaded as ex4 files (and templates) to MT4 and have successfully added other custom indicators, the issue is trying to download custom indicators from Market. It tries to take you directly to MT4 which doesn't work when using it with Wine on a Mac. There were some ways to address this posted by Sergey but I'm a bit nervous about updating to MT5 so ideally am looking for a way to download custom indicators from Market whilst still using MT4 on mac.

Many thanks

CongoJaz:

Thank you very much for your reply Randy. Just to clarify, I have a way to add custom indicators which I've already downloaded as ex4 files (and templates) to MT4 and have successfully added other custom indicators, the issue is trying to download custom indicators from Market. It tries to take you directly to MT4 which doesn't work when using it with Wine on a Mac. There were some ways to address this posted by Sergey but I'm a bit nervous about updating to MT5 so ideally am looking for a way to download custom indicators from Market whilst still using MT4 on mac.

Many thanks

The Market does not work for Mac sorry.

Randy Moffatt:

Hi there...

Here's what I do to add a custom indicator or template to your mt4 trading platform for Mac.

1-Find your mt4 platform (ie. FBS, XM, IC Markets.. etc. ) in the applications folder.

2-right click on that.

6-Click on that and you will see MQL4. Click on that and add your indicators to that file called "indicators".

8-Go to your platform and right click in the folders dropdown on the left side and press "refresh". Your indicators will show up there.

I like to use the refresh tab. It saves a lot of time by doing this than closing and reopening your mt4 charts.

I found this also.

Cheers!!

Thanks very much. I knew I had seen this post awhile back and in the meantime have got my machinery in order so that your instructions now work. For those that may still be struggling with this - Running MT4, (MT5 I have 0 experience with), on macOS, pre-10.14, here's my setup that will allow you to run MT4 on macOS, and, download and install Indicators for MT4:

1) I'm using macOS 10.13.x - macOS 10.14.x may also work, but, I have not tested. macOS 10.15 absolutely does not work, yet, (I have tested this).

2) Download and install MT4 from your FX broker. As you probably know by now you cannot download MT4 from the Metrader website, even if the link leads you to believe you can.

3) Use "PlayOnMac", just use a search engine to find it, download and install. [OpenSource, Free]

4) Follow the installation instructions for POM [PlayOnMac] then when prompted point your POM manager to the MT4.exe file you've downloaded.

5) When prompted, do create a Shortcut for the MT4.exe file.

6) Launch your MT4 platform from the Shortcut on your desktop to make sure it's working.

Notes:

- POM pretty much manages Wine in the background, but if it requires you to do a separate installation of Wine first, then it will prompt you.

- Installing the MT4 platform using only Wine works, but makes the "c:/" volume invisible and therefore useless. Using POM [Free] or a similar commercial product such as WinX or others, makes the "C:/" drive accessible, which in turn makes the directions kindly provided by Mr. Moffatt explicitly possible.

- Depending on the choices you make during POM installation the C:/ volume will show up in your User folder/PlayOnMac/etc.

Hope this prequel to Mr. Moffatt's instructions is helpful. Now, back to trading.

i've added the indicators to the folder however they still don't show up once the system is opened again. using Naga. any solutions?

Randy Moffatt:

Hi there...

2-right click on that.

I found this also.

Cheers!!

jksba89: i've added the indicators to the folder …
What folder? There are no mind readers here and our crystal balls are cracked.
File → Open Data Folder and verify you put it in the correct location.
Reason: