Which strategy is best for bitcoin? - page 2

I have to admit that I don't trade BTCUSD, but the reasons why I don't go back to exactly the title of this thread, namely the question towards reasonable strategies (and the possibility to have an edge) in this market.

So here's why in my opinion crypto currencies are different:

1. They have no inherent value, meaning: all currencies basically are just numbers, but conventional currencies derive their inherent value from the fact that they are broadly accepted as payment; of course, they could be replaced by something else (yes, also by Bitcoin for example), but it is practically impossible that this happens from one day to the other, so as long as such changes take at least a little bit of time, conventional currency have a monopoly status in their economy, which is why they can't dissappear at least not tommorrow. Crypto currency on the other hand are really just numbers. Although they are sometimes accepted as payment, this usually is only an option and it is not without alternative (normal money could do the job just as fine). So although Bitcoin might be a great idea and maybe it is the future, the inherent value just isn't there YET.

2. They have no underlying fundamentals, meaning: BTC is largely independent of the economy both on a global and national scale (once you substract the USD influence in the BTCUSD pair). Even if trading happens on technicals entirely, the hypothetical assumption that price moves are not purely random still justifies the question if fundamentals that drive the price do exist. For BTCUSD the answer clearly is NO.

3. A handful of big players are able to manipulate the price, just because they own significant proportions of the whole cake, and nobody knows how their actions will affect tommorrow's BTCUSD price, so while there is no edge (at least not without illegal(?)  insider information), there is big risk involved (which of course is also true for the relationship between conventional currencies and Trump's next tweet...).

4. They rely entirely on sentiment, meaning: if true value, political events, economical processes and other fundamentals don't drive the price, then what does? Just the fact that people attribute conceived value to this currency. It's just goes back to people's belief and expectations. In on word: sentiment. So this is why I think that IF anybody is willing to trade BTCUSD, than some kind of sentiment analysis specifically on the crypto market is the only way to go (and NOT technical analysis in this case).

Other opinions?    [....sentiment?   ;-)  ]

fenjamin:
I'm making an EA for BTCUSD, BTCEUR, and EURUSD. 20% stop loss / limit buy with automatic execution.
Fabio Cavalloni:

BTC is very technical when it's in ranging cycle. The problem is that BTC do a lot of unexpected strong breakouts.

As for all markets... there is not the best strategy but there is a good strategy for each market phase.

thank you

Chris70:

I have to admit that I don't trade BTCUSD, but the reasons why I don't go back to exactly the title of this thread, namely the question towards reasonable strategies (and the possibility to have an edge) in this market.

So here's why in my opinion crypto currencies are different:

1. They have no inherent value

I stop reading here because this is not true.

Marco vd Heijden:

I stop reading here because this is not true.

And why is it not true ? It would be more constructive and interesting if you explain what is it and your experience with it instead of leaving.

Alain Verleyen:
And why is it not true ? It would be more constructive and interesting if you explain what is it and your experience with it instead of leaving.

The easiest way to describe it is by looking at cryptographic strength.

A Private Key that gives access to the 'funds' on a Bitcoin address is essentially nothing more then a number.

But it's a very large number it's a number between 1 and  115792089237316195423570985008687907852837564279074904382605163141518161494336

He who holds the number will be able to transfer the 'funds'.

So you could just start guessing numbers and looking up the address on the Blockchain to see if it holds any 'funds'

If you want to try and brute force any given address, which is known to hold a large amount of 'funds' it was calculated that you would need more energy then the Sun to accomplish this.

So that's the inherent value or the cryptographic strength, the assurance that nobody will 'guess' your number and steal your 'funds' anytime soon.

Of course there could be people who will be extraordinarily lucky because they always say, if it can happen it will, but i do not expect such occurrence soon. 

By the way there are a lot of people who have lost their Private Key and so they lost the access to their 'funds' 

This is the digital analogy of losing your wallet on the street.

There are some Miners that solely try to mine or recover access to those wallets for a % of the 'funds'.

Hello,
The way of bitcoin strategy is::

• Diversify your trades. Combining Bitcoin, Ripple, Litecoin, Ethereum, and other cryptocurrencies will help reduce the daily risk associated with a specific coin.
  • Minimize trading costs. ...
  • Watch Trading times. ...
  • Follow Bitcoin News. ...
  • Use technical analysis . ...
  • Use stop losses.
Thank you..

the spread on bitcoin CFD's will destroy any profits you make unless you're going for some ultra long term plays. 

This one is simple: Not buying it.

niloufar mohamadi:

HI,Which strategy is best for BTCUSD?

Price action and renko I guess

No need to trade bitcoin, just buy & hold. You will out perform any other bitcoin trader long term.
Reason: