Is a laptop optimal for running MT4 or is a server best? If so, why?

Hello,

I have a laptop I'm not using right now which I'm planning to use for an EA under MT4. However, in future I will definitely need to expand, would it be best to purchase a laptop or a server rig? Which of them would be most optimal for the job? Detailed explanation would be immensely appreciated... as I have never had a server rig before and hence, my knowledge about server rigs is relatively limited.

(not interested in VPS solutions, as I simply don't trust any of them)

I have a laptop I'm not using right now which I'm planning to use for an EA under MT4.

I run an instance of MT5 in a virtual machine with only 1GB of RAM, which means: you don't need a lot of hardware to run MetaTrader.

leon9.022:

Hello,

I have a laptop I'm not using right now which I'm planning to use for an EA under MT4. However, in future I will definitely need to expand, would it be best to purchase a laptop or a server rig? Which of them would be most optimal for the job? Detailed explanation would be immensely appreciated... as I have never had a server rig before and hence, my knowledge about server rigs is relatively limited.

(not interested in VPS solutions, as I simply don't trust any of them)

The CPU usage of Metatrader is low, so it runs well on any hardware that can run Windows. I have Metatrader running 24/5 on an HP netbook that has an Atom 1.3 GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM, and no other apps running on it.