OOP issue : idea to break a vicious circle ? - page 4

To add comments, please log in or register
Amir Yacoby
Amir Yacoby  
nicholi shen:

Easy-peazy. This is only possible because the data is structured. If you had something spitting out random bits of data on the other end then and the only way to make since of it is by inferring some value solely by type -- then it's time to refactor what is doing the serialization to begin with.  

I got the idea of key+value pairs, I just assume that if the data had some more properties other then type, Alain would have used that, because that makes the problem much easier. Maybe refactoring is needed, maybe there is a reason as to why this Is the case, I can't tell for sure.

Amir Yacoby
Amir Yacoby  
nicholi shen:

What you are suggesting would be the equivalent to sending a mixed bag and praying the computing gods that nothing dangerous will happen (spoilers: it will). 

Thanks for giving me a mirror for the sattle ways you (I) can get personal without realising it. It is also true from the whole standpoint of your comment, trying to outsmart without having enough info, even though all that you said was clear from the beginning.
Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen  
Amir Yacoby:

I got the idea of key+value pairs, I just assume that if the data had some more properties other then type, Alain would have used that, because that makes the problem much easier. Maybe refactoring is needed, maybe there is a reason as to why this Is the case, I can't tell for sure.

Thanks trying to help,when some are just trying to show how "smart" they are.

I give up this topic and probably this forum.

Amir Yacoby
Amir Yacoby  
nicholi shen:

There's no need for ad hominem attacks, Alain. I have a lot of experience with serialization, and I thought I was being helpful by suggesting you go back to your client to fix their serializer instead of hacking around it's unstructured output. Perhaps there is a valid case for dumping unstructured data that I'm just not seeing. It certainly would be very unconventional, but I'm 100% open to the fact that I may be wrong. Perhaps if you shared the context which disproves my suggestion, I will humbly apologize and accept that I was wrong. Otherwise, let's remain professional and refrain from the personal attacks. 

Exactly, I assumed Alain has the answers and I don't have all the info, and yet you wrote a lenghthy comment about what I suggest or not suggest with the serialization gods etc.. We all agree that its an unusual case, the point is that I think if it was obvious as that Alain would have already ask the client for refactoring. Now after you wrote that you now admit that you might be wrong, you come to my standpoint that only Alain has the answers, and yet you had to first try to claim that theres no chance you dont know. Thats all, not too sensitive, and yet its not friendly to write ad hominem comments like I know your smart enough etc..when I think you're smart enough to understand the subcontext of that remark
To add comments, please log in or register