Learning MQL

Hi guys..

I'm a C & PHP languages programmer and I would like to learn MQL

Does anyone know how and where to start?

Is there a difference between MQL4 and MQL5?. If yes, then which is better to learn?

Start here: https://www.mql5.com/en/docs

And for examples you can look here: https://www.mql5.com/en/code

MQL5 Reference - How to use algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5
MQL5 Reference - How to use algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
MetaQuotes Language 5 (MQL5) is a high-level language designed for developing technical indicators, trading robots and utility applications, which automate financial trading. MQL5 has been developed by MetaQuotes Software Corp. for their trading platform. The language syntax is very close to C++ enabling programmers to develop applications in...

IMHO, it is better to learn MQL5 first, because currently most of the jobs offered on this site are for MT5.

ImperialTrader:

Hi guys..

I'm a C & PHP languages programmer and I would like to learn MQL

Does anyone know how and where to start?

Is there a difference between MQL4 and MQL5?. If yes, then which is better to learn?

Do you want to develop in MT4? If so, why?

Even for a C programmer, the MQL paradigm of dealing with charts/indicators is a little weird so I recommend trying to study the simple indicators first. For EAs, I strongly recommend the Book "Expert Advisor Programming for MetaTrader 5: Creating automated trading systems in the MQL5 language"

;)

Ilham Djumatov:

IMHO, it is better to learn MQL5 first, because currently most of the jobs offered on this site are for MT5.

Which is easier? MQL4 or MQL5?

Minions Labs:

Do you want to develop in MT4? If so, why?

Even for a C programmer, the MQL paradigm of dealing with charts/indicators is a little weird so I recommend trying to study the simple indicators first. For EAs, I strongly recommend the Book "Expert Advisor Programming for MetaTrader 5: Creating automated trading systems in the MQL5 language"

;)

It's paradoxical because MQL4 is easier but if you first learn MQL4 and then try to learn MQL5 you will run in a lot of trouble, but if you first learn MQL5 then MQL4 will be a breeze.

Also many MQL4 functions have been ported to MQL5 already and i would encourage you to use MT5 because of it's performance and capacities.

ImperialTrader:

Boh are equal. It depends on you goals... But just remember, MQL4 is a past technology, MQL5 is the future...

Forex is relying heavily nowadays on MQL4, so if you intend to operate this market you need to weight your odds...

As an example, here in Brazil, only MQL5 is available, so I mastered it and never programmed MQL4. And, on several core behaviors on indicators and buffer manipulations, there are nov direct equivalente of functions, so programming oon both is tricky...

;)

For now, if you want to sell any products, MQL4 will be the better choice as there are more customers.

Marco vd Heijden:

It's paradoxical because MQL4 is easier but if you first learn MQL4 and then try to learn MQL5 you will run in a lot of trouble, but if you first learn MQL5 then MQL4 will be a breeze.

Also many MQL4 functions have been ported to MQL5 already and i would encourage you to use MT5 because of it's performance and capacities.

Thank you :)

Minions Labs:

Boh are equal. It depends on you goals... But just remember, MQL4 is a past technology, MQL5 is the future...

Forex is relying heavily nowadays on MQL4, so if you intend to operate this market you need to weight your odds...

As an example, here in Brazil, only MQL5 is available, so I mastered it and never programmed MQL4. And, on several core behaviors on indicators and buffer manipulations, there are nov direct equivalente of functions, so programming oon both is tricky...

;)

Thank you :)
Reason: