Trades executing themselves

Hi guys, I am a newbie operating a demo account. My concern is that my trades executed themselves twice depleting my account from 4461$ to 129$. I had buy orders and the prices on GBPUSD have been falling so I had minus on my profits. Someone please shed more light on this, thanks in advance. Don

donmetal2000:

Hi guys, I am a newbie operating a demo account. My concern is that my trades executed themselves twice depleting my account from 4461$ to 129$. I had buy orders and the prices on GBPUSD have been falling so I had minus on my profits. Someone please shed more light on this, thanks in advance. Don

Probably you have a high leverage and you took out a very large position.

For example, lets say you have a 1:500 leverage ratio and you open 1.0 Lot Buy order, which would requires £200 of margin. So you thought, £200 of $4461 (aprox. £3438) is only 5.8% so I am OK!

However, what you did not contemplate, is that at 1.0 Lot, each pip is worth $10. So if your trade goes against you for 100 pips, you just lost $1000.

Now if you happen to have 5 orders open and each lost 100 pips, that is 5 x $1000 = $5000 and your account gets cleaned out completely!

Moral of the story: Trading requires knowledge and understanding of how it all works. Trading requires math (and lots of it)!

So, do your homework. Do extensive research on the matter. Prepare to be at it for several years before you gain the necessary knowledge and skill to even consider becoming profitable.

Fernando Carreiro:

Probably you have a high leverage and you took out a very large position.

For example, lets say you have a 1:500 leverage ratio and you open 1.0 Lot Buy order, which would requires £200 of margin. So you thought, £200 of $4461 (aprox. £3438) is only 5.8% so I am OK!

However, what you did not contemplate, is that at 1.0 Lot, each pip is worth $10. So if your trade goes against you for 100 pips, you just lost $1000.

Now if you happen to have 5 orders open and each lost 100 pips, that is 5 x $1000 = $5000 and your account gets cleaned out completely!

Moral of the story: Trading requires knowledge and understanding of how it all works. Trading requires math (and lots of it)!

So, do your homework. Do extensive research on the matter. Prepare to be at it for several years before you gain the necessary knowledge and skill to even consider becoming profitable.

Thank you Fernando for your concise and prompt response, I now get it esp the explanation of 1.0 lot each pip is 10$, am very grateful, well am putting the knowledge that I have been able to self teach myself from trading videos, books etc as I have great interest, I need mentors like you to offer guidance on this journey as you know the pitfalls and the way better. If you would agree i would love to learn more from you and have the chance to ask you question periodically that I would like clarified. Best regards Donald Muigai, from Nairobi Kenya
Reason: