Function Call Returning One of Two Values?

To add comments, please log in or register
koranged
koranged  

Ended up getting tangled and confused again by an example given in the manual/tutorial regarding Function Calls. Here's the code:

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
int start()                               // Description of function start()
  {                                       // Start of the function start() body
   int n;                                 // Variable declaration
   int T=15;                              // Predefined time
   for(int i=Func_yes_ret(T);i<=10;i++)   // The use of the function in..
                                          //.the cycle operator header
     {                                    // Start of the cycle 'for' body
      n=n+1;                              // Iterations counter
      Alert ("Iteration n=",n," i=",i);   // Function call operator
     }                                    // End of the cycle 'for' body
   return;                                // Exit function start()
  }                                       // End of the function start() body
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
int Func_yes_ret (int Times_in)           // Description of the user-defined function
  {                                       // Start of the user-defined function body
   datetime T_cur=TimeCurrent();          // The use of the function in.. 
                                          // ..the assignment operator
   if(TimeHour(T_cur) > Times_in)         // The use of the function in.. 
                                          //..the header of the operator 'if-else'
      return(1);                          // Return value 1
   return(5);                             // Return value 5
  }                                       // End of the user-defined function body
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the explanation given for what is happening in Expression_1 of the 'for' loop:

In the header of the operator 'for', we specify the call to the user-defined function Func_yes_ret() that can return one of two values: 1 or 5. According to this value, the amount of iterations in the cycle will change: there will be either 10 (i changes from 1 to 10) or 6 (i changes from 5 to 10) iterations.

Which leads to my question:

Why would 'int i=Func_yes_ret(T)' return 'one of two values'? Shouldn't this return just the value 15? As variable 'T' is assigned with the value 15 in this previous line and 'Func_yes_ret' is calling 'T'.

I assume this has something to do with the lines:

But I fail to understand what 'int i=Func_yes_ret(T)' in the 'for' loop is actually doing if not calling 'T' and then assigning integer 'i' with it's value before testing the condition 'i<=10'.

I'm sure the answer to this is extremely simple for anyone familiar with function calls but I am a total beginner so this is all new information to me.. I apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge/experience around the subject.

Thanks in advance to anybody willing to provide help/assistance.

Icham Aidibe
Icham Aidibe  
koranged:

Ended up getting tangled and confused again by an example given in the manual/tutorial regarding Function Calls. Here's the code:

Here is the explanation given for what is happening in Expression_1 of the 'for' loop:

In the header of the operator 'for', we specify the call to the user-defined function Func_yes_ret() that can return one of two values: 1 or 5. According to this value, the amount of iterations in the cycle will change: there will be either 10 (i changes from 1 to 10) or 6 (i changes from 5 to 10) iterations.

Which leads to my question:

Why would 'int i=Func_yes_ret(T)' return 'one of two values'? Shouldn't this return just the value 15? As variable 'T' is assigned with the value 15 in this previous line and 'Func_yes_ret' is calling 'T'.

I assume this has something to do with the lines:

But I fail to understand what 'int i=Func_yes_ret(T)' in the 'for' loop is actually doing if not calling 'T' and then assigning integer 'i' with it's value before testing the condition 'i<=10'.

I'm sure the answer to this is extremely simple for anyone familiar with function calls but I am a total beginner so this is all new information to me.. I apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge/experience around the subject.

Thanks in advance to anybody willing to provide help/assistance.

int Func_yes_ret (int Times_in)           // Description of the user-defined function
  {                                       // Start of the user-defined function body
   datetime T_cur=TimeCurrent();          // The use of the function in.. 
                                          // ..the assignment operator
   if(TimeHour(T_cur) > Times_in)         // The use of the function in.. 
                                          //..the header of the operator 'if-else'
  }                                       // End of the user-defined function body

... is ... 

if(TimeHour(T_cur) > Times_in) { return(1); }

You missed the indentation.

To add comments, please log in or register