C++ ... whats next? - page 2

Demos Stogios:

Hello,

I would suggest go for C and not C++

Yes C is better, everything you can do in C++ object oriented  you can do it in C, it's a get things done oriented language

if you are wanting to use a broker that uses mql5 then it works with C#... MQL4 brokers (still most of them) use C++,  while C# works with MQL5 or cAlgo from Spotware, so decide which broker you want to use first, find out what platforms they support, and then learn the language required...There is no need to go and learn c++ until you pass out, a lot of the grunt work is done for you within mql5... start writing trade strategies now,  you can also try C# with ninjatrader from ninjatrader.com 

Alp.Oguz:

Thanks Maxim,

As I don't have a formal computer programming education (... and as I'm now 45), I think that I will never be able to mix those things so much.

I selected C/C++ because it seems that they will be the key stones for my planned works for my retirement :) By mastering C/C++,

1. I think that I will be able to excel in coding EAs in MQL 5,

2. I think that I will be able to use C/C++ seamlessly with Matlab,

3. If needed, I will be able to move easily to GPU programming,

4. If really needed, I will be able to do some Windows tasks.

I decided to study concurrency in C++ after my introductory study mentioned in my original post and then later I think to study Open CL ... any gap here, any objection?

C ++ is a good choice, well known, it has many application libraries.
But you must be prepared for the following:
1) making every new DLL under MetaTrader is hard work
2) MT5 has improved security and prevents the use of debuggers
3) a long process cycle:

- Modified the C ++ source code

- launched a compilation ("make" the project)

- transferred the resulting DLL to MetaTrader

- Run scripts / indicators / experts for testing.

- any system error will require a restart MT - although it continues to work, but the environment of your DLL is "destroyed"
4) for each significant release of MetaTrader, you need to check the operation of ALL your DLLs

and finally - MQL works quickly with calculations and shifting the calculating part to the DLL is simply inefficient.

I missed the MQL capabilities of a higher-level language
for a compact (and most importantly brief) record of algorithms and easy communication with the "outside world".
Those who worked with scripting languages, they know that they are very effective in terms of convenience and speed of development.
I chose tcl and make the ATcl library.

Before making such a choice it was necessary to conduct a rather serious study of the issue,
and considered many "candidates". Among them were python, rubj, javascript (ecma), lua and
even purely scientific julia and scilab (near matlab analogue).

If you are interested, I can tell you what and why it was eliminated.

Maxim Kuznetsov:
I missed the MQL capabilities of a higher-level language
for a compact (and most importantly brief) record of algorithms and easy communication with the "outside world".
Those who worked with scripting languages, they know that they are very effective in terms of convenience and speed of development.
I chose tcl and make the ATcl library.

Before making such a choice it was necessary to conduct a rather serious study of the issue,
and considered many "candidates". Among them were python, rubj, javascript (ecma), lua and
even purely scientific julia and scilab (near matlab analogue).

If you are interested, I can tell you what and why it was eliminated.

Of course ... please.

I added your link to my favorites and I hope that I will look at the ATcl library soon just after my C++ study done.

Firstly, I ask you to excuse me - English is not my native language and I do not speak it well. Therefore, I first write large texts in Russian and then publish it in part with the help of google translate. Russian original of the following can look here: http://nektomk.ru/atcl:why

Here I quote only the abstracts from my entries, but still a large volume is obtained. I will be glad to any discussion and criticism - this will help me make the project better.

Why an additional language

Briefly, for what it would be desirable to use scripting language inside MQL:

• simplification and reduction of recording algorithms, rapid prototyping . In a high-level scripting language

algorithms are written very compactly and are quickly developed.

• overcoming the «problems» of MQL . The language of the platform is focused primarily on interaction with the trading environment

and fast mathematical calculations. Arrays are not first-class entities, but dynamic structures are rather difficult to program. For the sake of justice - it has justifications and partly it is solved by the «Standard Library»

• Code reuse . Many of the developed would like to be used outside of MetaTrader, and MQL is exclusively

trading platform language

• Programming the GUI . When I look at how programmers are tormented by developing components that can be displayed

only inside the graph and at the same time programmers calculate the pixels, I want to cry. 2018, the 21st century, trading platform. In any language there are 1-2-3 modern, full-featured, stable framework for user interfaces.

• Interaction with the «world» - the trader's environment includes DBMS, tables, different data streams, news feeds,

analytical software and so on. You need the means to interact with this

• I would like to have «glue» for using other means . In order to debug one DLL and one language in one platform,

and all others easily clung to him already. All modern languages ​​have mechanisms for adapting external modules from other languages.

Limitations and drawbacks of the solution

Of course, the solution will have obvious limitations and drawbacks, this too must be immediately understood and accounted for the scope of application:

• the use of another language entails the use of its infrastructure. Simply speaking, installation is required

this language with its libraries and tools on the computer.

• programs using DLL:
    • can not be executed on popular «VDS» MetaQuotes
    • can not be used in the «optimizer cloud»

* can not be sold through «market mql5.com»

MT Features and System Requirements

Known features of MetaTrader work, which significantly influence the choice of the language for embedding:

1. There are three types of user programs:
    1. indicators
    2. scripts
    3. experts
  2. each program is a separate entity, works with its own memory and should not affect the work of others
  3. for execution of the program, the platform calls its methods (standard functions) which must be worked out to the end
  4. while indicators of one chart are executed (called) within one system thread associated with the chart
  5. scripts and experts use a separate thread for each chart
  6. MT functions can not be called from the DLL.

the main system requirement follows from this:

«should be able to run several independent instances of the interpreter (or virtual machine language) on 1 system thread.»

and one great wish (to make the impossible possible):

«it is desirable that the language / interpreter has a» continuation «that is, it allows the return of the intermediate result with the preservation of its own state»

User requirements (my)

To learn a new programming language is not so difficult, the more I have a presentation about their device, and I consistently looked at almost everything. Of course, I had my requirements / wishes for them (with a few explanations):

1. this should not be an exotic or very new / experimental language.
  2. must have not too big API
  3. The API must provide access directly to the language and data, and not just its console or bath-mode
  4. the language itself must be quite high
  5. have good application libraries
  6. have a suitable license interpreter and libraries, which allows you to use it in freelancing or commercial projects without imposing restrictions on the customer

Forth, Lisp, C, C ++

Forth and Lisp immediately disappeared, the first is too low, the second is so sharply different from MQL that using it is a dissonance. Although anyone who wrote in MQL «translator of arithmetic formulas» or «calculator with brackets» almost realized one of them. depending on the applied method of parsing expressions

C and C ++, such interpreters, for example, Cling (https://root.cern.ch/cling) used in the analysis of CERN data, do not seem to be suitable. Using scripts like C ++ within a C ++-like language will not make the recording of algorithms easier or faster.

Remained the following group of popular languages: Python, Ruby, R, JavaScript, Lua, Tcl
I am ready to talk about the analysis of each of them in terms of integration with Metadrader.
But a little later, that there was time for discussing what was already said

Почему Tcl
  • nektomk.ru
Кратко, для чего хочется внутри MQL использовать скриптовый язык: алгоритмы записываются очень компактно и быстро разрабатываются. и быстрые математические вычисления. При этом массивы не являются first-class сущностями, а динамические структуры довольно сложно программируются. Справедливости ради - это имеет обоснования и отчасти это...

Learning C++ syntax and design patterns will provide a good foundation for understanding OOP and memory management in MQL, however, you will not access to many of the c++ data structures and libraries, and it's already been mentioned that making and using dll's is a real pain... So it's my opinion that once you understand OOP concepts and basic design patterns then it's time to dive into MQL and start using the MQL libraries. If you really want to learn another language then I agree with Marco's suggestion to learn Python. Wall-street quants are mostly using python now, especially for machine learning algos and prototyping. Only after developing a successful HFT strat will they code it up in c++ for speed. As far as MQL goes there's plenty of argument about speed, which is import in back testing to reduce testing times, however it really doesn't help from a trading perspective since the real bottle-neck is on the server side, so if you think you need MQL for "speed" then think again. 

Just write the code.

Practice makes perfect.

Remained the following group of popular languages: Python, Ruby, R, JavaScript, Lua, Tcl

I am ready to talk about the analysis of each of them in terms of integration with Metadrader.
But a little later, that there was time for discussing what was already said

Thanks a lot for your post.

As I'm now just a reader -not writer- of MQL codes, I'm not in the position of discussing the thoughts in your post.

But, I would really like to read the opinions here of other experienced programmers.

Emma Schwatson:
So it's my opinion that once you understand OOP concepts and basic design patterns then it's time to dive into MQL

I agree.

Marco vd Heijden:

Have a look at Python.

I agree.

Carl Schreiber:

I would suggest you search the CodeBase (see above) for various EAs and Indis and study them, start them change them and see what happens.

There are even single and series of articles (as well from above) like Graphical Interfaces or Cross Platform EAs with lots of described and commented code!

Strongly agree.

You will gain insights from others' code examples that you won't get in any book.

I would add to this: read the programming-related questions on this forum. Try to answer them.

My final comment:

You should be coding at the same time that you are reading. Leverage your book learning with experiential knowledge, and the only way to do that is to write code—even if it's bad code.

Reason: