Mysql vs sqlite

hey guys,

as the title already says i am looking forward for your opinion on this topic!

I want to read and store data from mql5 charts to a database!

this database should be readable by multiple instances, whereas there is only one instance that writes to the database.

Since sqlite is lightweight, easy to setup and fast i tend to prefer sqlite over mysql

Do you have any pro or cons you can tell about from your on experience in relation to mql5?

Thanks in advance guys!

bk7:

hey guys,

as the title already says i am looking forward for your opinion on this topic!

I want to read and store data from mql5 charts to a database!

this database should be readable by multiple instances, whereas there is only one instance that writes to the database.

Since sqlite is lightweight, easy to setup and fast i tend to prefer sqlite over mysql

Do you have any pro or cons you can tell about from your on experience in relation to mql5?

Thanks in advance guys!

The one thing sqlite falls short on is concurrency. I'd say if there's not a specific reason to avoid using a full featured dbms then I'd stick to MySQL (or postgresql)

@Emma Schwatson thats not true, sqlite and mysql can handle very well this data, it just type double.

@bk7: both are nice and easy to handle, even mysql. With mysql you can handle multiple access to data structurs including autolock (innodb) or building complex query strings. You should start with sqlite, there is a nice howto in the "articel" section. You also need a dll because mql does not support db access.

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/862

Best regards

SQL and MQL5: Working with SQLite Database
SQL and MQL5: Working with SQLite Database
  • ---
  • www.mql5.com
Small. Fast. Reliable. Choose any of three. Introduction Many developers consider using databases in their projects for data storage purposes and yet they remain hesitant about this, knowing how much extra time the SQL server installation may require. And whereas it may not be so difficult for programmers (if a database management system...

Christian Stern:

@Emma Schwatson thats not true, sqlite and mysql can handle very well this data, it just type double.

@bk7: both are nice and easy to handle, even mysql. With mysql you can handle multiple access to data structurs including autolock (innodb) or building complex query strings. You should start with sqlite, there is a nice howto in the "articel" section. You also need a dll because mql does not support db access.

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/862

Best regards

You are confusing currency and concurrency. Two very different and unrelated things.

Emma Schwatson:
The one thing sqlite falls short on is concurrency. I'd say if there's not a specific reason to avoid using a full featured dbms then I'd stick to MySQL (or postgresql)

thank you very much for your answer!

Does the concurrency disadvantage count for read and write or just one of each?
I am thinking of writing data to the database just from one source and have one database for each Symbol (Eurusd/Gbpusd...). So it should be faster and less vulnerable for any bad data that might crash the whole database, so just one Symbol will be affected

Reason: