Problems when closing Metatrader4

Hi everybody

I have this strange problem:

I usually keep my PC on at all times.

I just shut PC down for a Windows Update while Metatrader4 was started.

When I started Metatrader after the reboot, ALL support/resistance lines I have traced were missing. From on ALL the opened charts.

After that I tried to just close Metatrader after setting the proper lines on each charts that I have opened. The trendlines/support/resistance lines were saved

However, this morning, after closing Metatrader AND restarting it ALL the support/resistance/trend lines were missing again.

I want to know where does Metatrader save the lines we draw (in which files, where are they located) so I can make copies of them, and replace them in case such an event occurs again

Thanks in advance

PS: I am using Metatrader, connected to the same trading account on several computers. of course that on each computer I have re-placed all the lines on slightly different positions. Could this mess things up ?

Dan

Dan Moldovan:

Hi everybody

I have this strange problem:

I usually keep my PC on at all times.

I just shut PC down for a Windows Update while Metatrader4 was started.

When I started Metatrader after the reboot, ALL support/resistance lines I have traced were missing. From on ALL the opened charts.

After that I tried to just close Metatrader after setting the proper lines on each charts that I have opened. The trendlines/support/resistance lines were saved

However, this morning, after closing Metatrader AND restarting it ALL the support/resistance/trend lines were missing again.

I want to know where does Metatrader save the lines we draw (in which files, where are they located) so I can make copies of them, and replace them in case such an event occurs again

Thanks in advance

PS: I am using Metatrader, connected to the same trading account on several computers. of course that on each computer I have re-placed all the lines on slightly different positions. Could this mess things up ?

Dan

They are saved in the data folder/profiles/<current profile name>/*.chr files.

The bad news is, that those files get flushed (updated) only occasionally on changing profile or closing the terminal down by menu, close icon or alt-F4 (an exception further). So making a copy won't save what you can see right on the screen.

The other bad news is, there is a bug in the closing procedure in MT4; if the terminal gets closed by sending a system message (either from MQL or from Windows on restart/shutdown), the files are not updated either. It explains your lost objects.

Ex Ovo Omnia:

The bad news is, that those files get flushed (updated) only occasionally on changing profile or closing the terminal down by menu, close icon or alt-F4 (an exception further). So making a copy won't save what you can see right on the screen.

The other bad news is, there is a bug in the closing procedure in MT4; if the terminal gets closed by sending a system message (either from MQL or from Windows on restart/shutdown), the files are not updated either. It explains your lost objects.

Is changing to MT5 a solution to this problem ?

Ex Ovo Omnia:

You know, the interesting part was that after all lines have been drawn, I did exit from the Metatrader4, and started it again.

Everything was fine. After some other exit/start sequence all the lines were gone. So, they have been somehow deleted by metatrader itself, or by some error/bug in Metatrader.

PS:  I am running Metatrader 4 on Windows 7 x64

Dan

Dan Moldovan: So, they have been somehow deleted by metatrader itself, or by some error/bug in Metatrader.

Or some indicator/EA deletes them. I have no such problem. (Shutdown terminal before rebooting.)

Reason: