ZigZag Deviation W/out effect?

Hi, 

sorry for the beginners question.

I am puzzeled w/ the Zigzag input parameter Deviation.

On [DAX30] 2 digits POINTS = 0.01 any Deviation value between 5 or 5000 does not change anything??

Looking at the code, it seems to be an absolute point value and not as mentioned in many place a percentage?

Anyhow, w/ 5000 there should be never a new Top/Low, right?? 

... but I see always new Tops/Lows, regardless of settings.

??

Thanks

Hans

lve0200:

Hi, 

sorry for the beginners question.

I am puzzeled w/ the Zigzag input parameter Deviation.

On [DAX30] 2 digits POINTS = 0.01 any Deviation value between 5 or 5000 does not change anything??

Looking at the code, it seems to be an absolute point value and not as mentioned in many place a percentage?

Anyhow, w/ 5000 there should be never a new Top/Low, right?? 

... but I see always new Tops/Lows, regardless of settings.

??

Thanks

Hans

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

ZigZag indicator on MT4 version 4 build 1010; bug or am I stupid?

Fernando Carreiro, 2016.10.30 15:57

Sorry for the late post, but I have recently been looking at the ZigZag code again, and it seems that you are correct. There is in fact a bug in the code with respect to the deviation that has never been corrected.

Here is a discussion, entitled "ZigZag is NOT ZigZag!" on this and other bugs detected in the MT4 version of ZigZag and derivations (including my own ZigZagZug which suffers from the same bug):

@Moderator: I hope this URL is acceptable in accordance with the Forum rules, because it is not an advertisement but a Forum site with information on this matter.

Fernando Carreiro:

Hi, the link is dead.

Is there anybody bound to correct this???

or is there another indicator somewhere, which works correctly??

Rgds

hk

lve0200: Hi, the link is dead. Is there anybody bound to correct this??? or is there another indicator somewhere, which works correctly??

EDIT: Just did a test and the link is still valid! The problem is being caused by this site's faulty redirection mechanism. So copy/paste the actual link text to your browser instead of clicking on it.

• http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1313

It was there a few days ago, when I posted my reply! Luckily, I did save all its contents on that day. I have attached it in a ZIP archive and here is the list of files in it ...

2017-10-19 23:53    195.000 ZigZag Channel Indicator - Metatrader 4 - MQL4 Auto ZigZag Channel Trend.pdf
2017-10-19 23:50    623.269 ZigZag is NOT ZigZag (stevehopwoodforex.com).Print Version.pdf
2017-10-19 23:56  1.146.362 ZigZag is NOT ZigZag (stevehopwoodforex.com).Web Version.pdf
2017-10-19 23:45      9.182 ZigZag_Channels w-alert.mq4
2017-10-19 23:53      9.182 ZigZag_Channels.mq4
2017-10-19 23:46     10.868 ZigZag_Corrected_v3.2.1HZ_Channels w-alert.mq4
2017-10-19 23:43      7.540 ZigZag_Corrected_v3.2.mq4
2017-10-19 23:45      9.235 ZigZag_Corrected_v3.2B_Channels w-alert.mq4
2017-10-19 23:45     22.508 ZigZag_Corrected_v3.2_Channels w-alert.ex4
2017-10-19 23:52     13.527 ZigZag_Corrected_v3.2_HZ_Channels_w-alert_v3.1.mq4
2017-10-19 23:54     13.102 ZigZag_Corrected_v3.2_HZ_Channels_w-alert_v3.2.mq4
2017-10-19 23:55     30.248 ZigZag_v3.2_Channels_v3.4.ex4
2017-10-19 23:52      2.807 ZZChannels_3.2HZ_3.1 and ZZ.tpl

The highlighted files are a printed copy of the forum text in PDF format, and the other files were attachments on some of the posts.

Files:

Fernando Carreiro:

EDIT: Just did a test and the link is still valid! The problem is being caused by this site's faulty redirection mechanism. So copy/paste the actual link text to your browser instead of clicking on it.

• http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1313

It was there a few days ago, when I posted my reply! Luckily, I did save all its contents on that day. I have attached it in a ZIP archive and here is the list of files in it ...

The highlighted files are a printed copy of the forum text in PDF format, and the other files were attachments on some of the posts.

Thanks for your help!!

I compiled/installed the corrected zigzag V 3.32, but it doesn't work, neither. I am on Indices (DAX30) and I'm getting zigzag extreme points on non existing highs/lows. :(

Anyway.

I there an official place, where I can complain and which is read by the makers of MT4?

Rgds

hk

lve0200: Thanks for your help!! I compiled/installed the corrected zigzag V 3.32, but it doesn't work, neither. I am on Indices (DAX30) and I'm getting zigzag extreme points on non existing highs/lows. :(

Anyway. I there an official place, where I can complain and which is read by the makers of MT4?

The reason I supplied the link and those files, was meant for you to use as a reference in your own coding implementations as that thread is very old. The "corrected code" is very old but free, so how or why are you going to "complain" about it?

If you are unable to code a modern corrected ZigZag indicator yourself, then you can always hire someone via the Freelance section to do it for you. If your budget price is acceptable and interesting, then I can also apply for the job if you want.

As for MetaQuotes complaints, use the Service Desk, but I doubt you will get any positive results from it.

EDIT: Please don't discuss coding jobs and costs here, as that is against the rules. Place a job request and discuss those things there with each of the applicants (coders that apply for the job) and then choose the offer the best suits you and your budget.

Fernando Carreiro:

The reason I supplied the link and those files, was meant for you to use as a reference in your own coding implementations as that thread is very old. The "corrected code" is very old but free, so how or why are you going to "complain" about it?

If you are unable to code a modern corrected ZigZag indicator yourself, then you can always hire someone via the Freelance section to do it for you. If your budget price is acceptable and interesting, then I can also apply for the job if you want.

As for MetaQuotes complaints, use the Service Desk, but I doubt you will get any positive results from it.

EDIT: Please don't discuss coding jobs and costs here, as that is against the rules. Place a job request and discuss those things there with each of the applicants (coders that apply for the job) and then choose the offer the best suits you and your budget.

Sorry, it was not my intention to complain! Old does not necessary mean, wrong. Yes, I thought that zigzag would be a common thing and I had hard time to imagine that it would be so difficult finding something ready and workable.

Anyway, thank you for your help!

Rgds

hk

Reason: