What are the differences between MT4 and MT5 platform, is their really a necessity to migrate? - page 3

ok i wont discuss with fanboys

Differences are very few, as both the products tend to converge in the last few years.

Having two nearly identical products has little sense, regarding the cost of maintenance. All the misunderstanding in discussions about MT4 x MT5 comes from the fact, that MQ never gave clear explanation for their decision (they have chosen the less popular product to be the common successor, after a 2y period of qualitative improvement of the more popular one), and neither they gave any schedule for abandoning MT4. The uncertainty bears emotions. Uncertainty in investment protection is involved as well.

So discussion of what is better is over, the decision was already made. All we can do, is to ask for information about the schedule. It will give the answer to the topic question about "necessity to migrate".

mrluck012:

ok i wont discuss with fanboys

You confused opinion with facts, and that is why this discussion was going to wrong way.
There is one good post made by Alain about it:

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Why is it better MT5 than MT4?? Does it have fewer limitations ???

Alain Verleyen, 2017.01.22 12:56

Everyone is free to have an opinion and to express it, but facts and data are more valuable. Someone previously said that MT5 is slower than MT4, that's an opinion. An opinion so obviously contrary to the facts that it's just laughable and not worth to discuss it. 

The problem start when someone try to present his opinion as the final truth, to present an opinion as it was a fact. And it happens often, sometimes so often that nobody takes care and don't even read hundred time repeated opinion presented as a law. I will never agree with that and I will not let develop such behavior while I am moderator.

Just an explanation ... opinion :)

Ex Ovo Omnia:

Differences are very few, as both the products tend to converge in the last few years.

Having two nearly identical products has little sense, regarding the cost of maintenance. All the misunderstanding in discussions about MT4 x MT5 comes from the fact, that MQ never gave clear explanation for their decision (they have chosen the less popular product to be the common successor, after a 2y period of qualitative improvement of the more popular one), and neither they gave any schedule for abandoning MT4. The uncertainty bears emotions. Uncertainty in investment protection is involved as well.

So discussion of what is better is over, the decision was already made. All we can do, is to ask for information about the schedule. It will give the answer to the topic question about "necessity to migrate".

They decided to stop new development on MT4. It is clear.

I am sure there is no schedule. All depends of the brokers and the traders, Metaquotes can't just decide to abandon MT4.

Alain Verleyen:

They decided to stop new development on MT4. It is clear.

I am sure there is no schedule. All depends of the brokers and the traders, Metaquotes can't just decide to abandon MT4.

Its my opinion (based on assumptions , dont take it for granted) that we are heading for a merge . I believe October the first is an important date towards that step.
If we take a glance at the evolution timeline we notice the 2 platforms have been converging for quite a while.(now we just attach the MACD and look for convergence divergence).

The "thorns" of the matter is what happens to existing broker licenses for MT4 , and what happens to users funds that got invested in MT4 products.
I'm not judging in any way -if MQ says MT5 only ,we take the red pill and start code conversion- , its just my 2 main points that support the merge hypothesis.(i havent found the resistance yet).

It is not necessary to migrate , you can do both they are similar with some differences.

mrluck012:

mql5 has more than 8000 free indicators? no

metatrader 5 has offline charts? no

metatrader 5 has the majority of broker with lowest spreads? no

metatrader 4 is the best platform a trader will ever need if you use technical analysis 

The single reason I'm downgrading to mt4 today. After 2 years of programming in mt5.
Reason: